RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After reading many posts on our forum I decided to change a leaking rear air spring. As per the instructions all went well as it only took 15 minutes to remove the old spring.

However when inserting the new spring (top pin and air line replaced) I have to bend the spring in order to insert the bottom housing then pop the pin in. This resulted in the spring not inflating correctly and having to be deflated.

I note that instructions mention that when the top of the spring is secured and air line in I would have to jack up the axle in order to secure the bottom of the spring in to the housing, however my axle does not travel enough as I am having to bend the spring before I can secure it and replace the big R pin. Does the bottom bolt from the shock absorber also have to be removed to allow further axle travel?

Just to confirm my rover has been jacked up to full axle extension as the tyre is off the garage floor??

The Rover is a 2001 V8

It is frustrating as owners appear to be changing these springs in approx 30 mins.....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sounds to me like you're over complicating things here. There's absolutely no need to take the shock absorber off for this job.

Perhaps, what you need to do is not to simply bend the new air shock in an L shape, but to push the air shock in its place with a gentler contorted shape.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Way over complicated. You need to have the spring compressed enough to drop top and bottom into place as close as possible. Then rotate until you can insert the top pin, wiggle until you can get the bottom pin and then install the air line. With the air line installed you have very little ability to squeeze and compress the spring into place.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover P38A
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, thank you for the quick replies. As soon as RRToad mentioned compressing the spring it all clicked. Took some Fairy Liquid (household washing up detergent) and squirted some around the bottom of the bag and rolled the bellow down over toward the bottom. This made the new bag similar in appearance to the other rear and hey presto, inserted the top pin and air line then jacked up the axle to meet the bottom of the bag and inserted the final pin. I'll easily replace the other side within an hour. Many thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts