1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All -

Would like some help working through an issue :crybaby2:

My 1898 4.6 just died on me the other day. I was hoping to get some direction
on how i can trouble shoot this without the expenses of taking it into the shop.

Let me start by saying that I let the fuel level get very low. I drove right by
a gas station and got lazy and went home. The next morning, I started and
rolled about 5 feet and it died. So I figured I ran it out of gas. I added a gallon
and a half that my neighbor had and still could not get it started. So I went
and got a couple more fresh gallons of gas and got it started with the help of
AAA. I was running really rough....really rough. We noticed that that there
was a watery liquid driping out of the the spare tire well.....what could that
possibly be? Is this something from the evaporator? I wonder if the gas
I got from my neighbor was bad?

Well, I then drove the car to Autozone to see it I could get some injector cleaner,
etc. The Rover could barely make it....I was driving along at 5 MPH. It
has not come close to starting since. I do not smell gas when I try to start
it at all.

I have talked to a couple of dealerships....and they say that I may have screwed
my fuel pump by letting it go empty.

What do I need to check to diagnose this thing.

What could that liquid have been in the wheel well?
Could that be a indicator of the issue?

What if gas is bad?

If my tank got so low that my pump got contaminated, what
are my best steps to get this working again....my car has 135K
miles on it by the way.

Are there filters that could be clogged?

Switches worth checking? Relay and fuse looks OK.

How do I confirm fuel pump is pumping and gas is getting to the
engine.

I have been told that this is a common problem with rovers...any
help will be appreciated.

THANKS for you help in advance.

I

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I guess 1898 is a typo and it's a 1998 :lol: .

Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds after switching the ignition on (don't confuse it with the ABS pump)?
There is a schrader valve at the fuel rail, if you press it in fuel should squirt out (if it comes out it doesn't necessarily mean there is enough pressure, but if nothing comes out you have found the problem area), next step would be to measure the pressure with a gauge, but I don't know the correct pressure at the moment, would have to look it up in RAVE.

Your fuel filter is located at the chassis rail near the tank.

The water in the spare wheel well has nothing to do with the fuel system, you have a leak somewhere and water is running into the wheel well, maybe it's already rusted through and the water is running out again...

Sigi

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi Take the fuel filter off and fit a new one. I ran my pump through faultmate to drain the system, when i thought put diesel in to the tank, ran it dry and there was no contaminants in the system at all, 139k milege, so i have come to believe this is a "old wifes tail" done by garages to get us to spend more, if anybody knows any different let me know.
Check your Maf sensor and connections that will cause some problems, check to make sure you have no misfire,(out in the dark with engine running look for blue flashes). Ht leads are all in place etc.
After that its the fuel pump gone, check other links, but don't take it to a dealer as they will want to replace the whole fuel tank and pump, belive you can cut a hole in the top through the floor of the boot and install a knew one.
Try the cheapest solution first check everything yourself, then if you cannnot find the problem it will need plugging in to T4, rovacom or faultmate. to double check, just get diagnostic to find out whats wrong before throwing money at it.
hope this helps
onetime

·
Registered
105 Posts
The pump is designed to die at 130,000 miles, mine made it a little past that :shock:
search for older posts, they contain all the info you need to diagnose and replace the pump if needed.
Do not overlook a posible stuck open injector or faulty regulator, Start by verifying fuel pressure with a guage at the rail fitting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - got it started and ran it for 30 minutes sitting in the front yard.
I could rev the engine to about 3000 RPM, then it would lose power. And
drove it round the block. It runs rought when givcn the gas. It is not
road worthy at all.

Whats next MAF cleaning or replacement?
Are there any relays, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
I had a fuel pump burnt because of a similar story but from my experience it was burnt that's it. Couldn't start it at all.

What i advise you is Testbook. Reset the adaptive values and see if it runs well.

When mine is a pig on petrol because of my bad LPG setup, i reset all and got the power back and smooth engine on petrol too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update Update Update Update

I cleaned the MAF but it is still running rough...........IT DOES RUN MUCH BETTER so those
out there who have not cleaned the MAF...do it....there are special sprays at the parts stores.

The good news is that it starts and runs but the power gives as I drive it. It gives going up
hills or whenever the load is larger. Give it the gas and it feels like its drowinng. Whats
interesting is that it runs better when the car is just start and much worse after it has been
running a bit. I have seen this symptom indocated as the pump going bad. But why does
the car run worse when its warmer.....makes no sense to me.

Anymore ideas?

Anyone wanna by Range Rover? :twisted:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
gregorycarlisle said:
Update Update Update Update

I cleaned the MAF but it is still running rough...........IT DOES RUN MUCH BETTER so those
out there who have not cleaned the MAF...do it....there are special sprays at the parts stores.

The good news is that it starts and runs but the power gives as I drive it. It gives going up
hills or whenever the load is larger. Give it the gas and it feels like its drowinng. Whats
interesting is that it runs better when the car is just start and much worse after it has been
running a bit. I have seen this symptom indocated as the pump going bad. But why does
the car run worse when its warmer.....makes no sense to me.

Anymore ideas?

Anyone wanna by Range Rover? :twisted:
All the cars run worse when outside temp is warmer

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
225 Posts
gregory,

I think the solution has been suggested here by others but I havn't seen a response from you on it yet.

Have you changed the fuel filter?
A clogged fuel filter can result in fuel starvation.

All the symptoms you describe point to fuel starvarion, which will of course show up when you rev up and/or load up the engine.

I would definitely replace the filter before doing anything else at this stage.

Cheers and Merrry Christmas.
Keijo

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I would definitely check the small stuff first. Plugs, wires, air filter, and FUEL FILTER!

·
Registered
226 Posts
have you filled the tank since this whole thing started? do you live in a cold area? I had a 280ZX many many years ago, I let it run near empty and water in the gas line frozed over night, a bottle of dry gas is cheap

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recently had a new fuel pump fitted, pump died completely. Before my car always started first time no problem. Now I seem to have a problem where 60-70% of the time car does not start on first crank. Takes 3-4 tries to fire up. But then sometimes it starts first time regardless of being cold or warm.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
225 Posts
Well Gregory, how did you go?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
225 Posts
So many people join up ,ask for help and get it from a lot of well meaning members.
How nice would it be if we always got some feedback on how things turned out, and if fixed, having the fix shared with everyone here.
Most members do it but some just fade away into the ether.

Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
922 Posts
X2 :thumb: fedback is essential to the "learning" of us all.

BTW was @ Jamberoo a few weeks ago and finally/finally did the Fly Walk...fantastic.

The extended family has had a house @ Kiama Downs...right on the beach `) `) `) for the past 40 yrs or so... was great to spend a few days there over Christmas... and have a couple (well a few actually 8-0= :oops: ) quiet ales in the Jamberoo Pub :)

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Keijo said:
So many people join up ,ask for help and get it from a lot of well meaning members.
How nice would it be if we always got some feedback on how things turned out, and if fixed, having the fix shared with everyone here.
Most members do it but some just fade away into the ether.

Cheers everyone.

Agreed. Most vehicles have a number problems common to that specific model, and it's nice to have a good base of what works and doesn't. I don't like when one a little different, like this one, goes without finding out what worked and didn't.

Will RRS wheels fit? :think:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
225 Posts
Good one Hoges,

It beggars belief, that someone out there not only has heard of Jamberoo, but knows where it is and has enjoyed the delights of our local pub.
Next time you are here, if you see a black RR with KO number plates parked outside, ask for the cars owner and say hello, I'll shout you one.

Cheers,
Keijo

·
Registered
922 Posts
Next time you are here, if you see a black RR with KO number plates parked outside, ask for the cars owner and say hello, I'll shout you one.
:thumb: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts