Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've checked the forums for this particular issue but have not seen another like it. My HSE has the typical oil leaks and recently, I have found that regardless of when, where or how I check the oil level, the dipstick always shows over full. Last night, it would not start because of no oil pressure. I put 3 quarts in and it started right up. Even with the no pressure, the dipstick still showed full. At this point, I'm ready to push a bottle brush through the tube to remove any sludge or oil left there causing the incorrect readings. In researching this, I ran across a thread about removing and reinstalling the tube. I'm not sure what is involved in that but I am open to any suggestions to allow me to accurately read the level. I don't want to blow the motor up.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I'd start with draining the oil entirely and putting in 9 quarts of fresh oil. While it's empty, try putting some compressed air into the dipstick tube while being careful to not overdo the pressure.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you considered doing an oil change? You'd have a known amount of oil on board to check the dip stick against.

As to pulling the tube, it's a bit of a PITA. Passenger side bank, two lower front valve cover bolts and a little bolt down at the bottom of the tube where connects to the block. There's an o-ring beneath.

You should get a fault from too low a volume unless the sensor is shot. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ours has a tendency to show overfill and I think oil may get pushed up the tube at rest (not sure how) When it is rechecked the oil level seems a bit lower at times. I get that same issue with one of the lawnmower engines I have. Leave it and pull the dip and it reads high. recheck and a lower level shows up. A curious point as to where a low oil level sensor is. I never checked the pan to see where it might be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same issue as above, whether I check it first thing in the morning or any other time. Does anyone know what is the cause of this? And if the sensor is shot, you won't know until the engine seizes. I've contemplated the bottle brush idea with the luck I have with this vehicle, the brush would break off inside the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.