RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my question on my 93 Rover. I purchased from PO in well maintained condition or I thought. Since I have owned only about six months I have had nothing but constant electrical problems with my Rover, blinker works and then it does not , windows go up and not down , power seat on driver side works the side mirrors, side mirrors do not work , rear windows do not work, cruise control not working, air suspension not working.... and so on. Every time I start it up something acts up and will not work, The question I have is mechanics have told me that the 93 was known for electrical problems is this true or not....I spend all my time trouble shooting the problems and no time enjoying the Rover..... Thanks for any help,,,Sparky

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
not much different from a 92.....or early 94.....

I wouldnt say they are that bad electrically. They definately do have some common issues though and some cars just give constant issues and some dont.

The later P38 2nd series rangie is a nightmare electrically....

·
Registered
523 Posts
You're talking about an 18 year old car. Think about how many times those switches and relays have been operated.

If you don't enjoy the 'challenge' of troubleshooting problems, you're going to get fed up pretty soon. It just won't be new-car reliable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
well I've got a 93 - I've had one or two elec niggles but nothing major or on a recurring basis - and we are in a very wet climate here. I often hear ofr people with bad electrical problems - usually turns out their car has been used for boat launching and the elec contacts have been doused in salt water - corrosion being the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Danny said:
If you don't enjoy the 'challenge' of troubleshooting problems, you're going to get fed up pretty soon.
yes, that's how it is, if you can't fix your RRC by yourself, this is not the Car for you. Except you are rich and you can spend lots of money for a mechanic.

The Cruisecontrol:
have you checked the vacuum-pipes? Mine were all leaking, after replacing them, checking and adjusting the switch on the brakepedal, and putting a new relay back to the right socket, the CC works now.

Good luck, Chris

PS: My 1995 LWB runs great, all electric is working, well not the remote for the doorlockers, but anyway :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi
I have a 1993 LSE not had any major elec probs!,the only issue i currently have is the memory seat ECU which is not moving anything except the mirrors when you opperate the seat switch!!,Hay Ho the joys of Classic Range Rover Ownership?
Valveboy

1988 3.5EFI Vogue
1993 4.2 LSE
1996 Discovery ES

·
Registered
38 Posts
Poor earths are often a root cause. Go round and spray an electrical cleaner on ALL the switches and connectors!

·
Registered
153 Posts
38wolek said:
Well this is my question on my 93 Rover. I purchased from PO in well maintained condition or I thought. Since I have owned only about six months I have had nothing but constant electrical problems with my Rover, blinker works and then it does not , windows go up and not down , power seat on driver side works the side mirrors, side mirrors do not work , rear windows do not work, cruise control not working, air suspension not working.... and so on. Every time I start it up something acts up and will not work, The question I have is mechanics have told me that the 93 was known for electrical problems is this true or not....I spend all my time trouble shooting the problems and no time enjoying the Rover..... Thanks for any help,,,Sparky

Sounds like it is working correctly!

All joking aside, welcome to Land Rover ownership. Electrical nightmares seem to be the norm. It seems some vehicles are better than others. I won't sit here and tell you how great mine has been - that doesn't help you and probably will just make you even more depressed. Do some searches on the forum for your individual problems. The power seat working the mirrors is common and has been discussed at length. The cruise control is another common problem and has many pages devoted to it. Rear windows not working are usually a result of the ECU. As far as something working and then not working another time, sounds like a short somewhere in the wire. Keep at it. It will take some time, but it is nothing that can't be worked out.

Colin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts