RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have recently bought my second RR . I have a classic and now also an 1998 P38. 4.6 HSE. `)
i have a problem with the rear upper tailgate.

when only opening the upper tailgate there is no problem clossing it BUT !!!! when i also open the lower tailgate i have to slam the upper tailgate 10 or 20 times :evil: before it closses. i have read the forum and could not find a simmular problem or solution for it.

i hope there is anybody who knows a sollution for this problem.

Thanks.

Patrick

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi RRtoadhall,

no i have not.how do i do that and where are they located ?

thanks for your quick response !

gr.

Patrick

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Best bet would be to download RAVE from the internet. There are great directions for both the tailgatge as well as the hatch strikers... with pics! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oke ! i have the RAVE already. i will try to adjusten the lower tailgate.
hoping this will solve the problem.

I was hoping it was a commen problem with the RR....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YESSS :dance: solved the problem.
only adjusting the upper tailgate latch.

i thought it was more difficult because the problem only occures when the lower tailgate was opened also.

thanks ! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i aM SORRY to report ....... the problem is there again ........... :crybaby2:

anybody ???

it is quit anoying slaming the tailgate 100 times in a carpark with a RR...... :evil:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would try opening the rear door and putting things in from the back, that might work real well.... :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a helpful note, my range I barely have to lay down and it locks, no slam at all. I would try the soft method and just see what is not catching. maybe something else needs to be altered, pulled, or aligned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Putting things through the backdoor........ 8~
why didn't i think of that ??? :shock: stupid me !

when the wetter is better ( over here in the Netherlands ) ill try again aligning the upper/lower tailgate...

keep you posted !

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,159 Posts
I had an issue on my 1995 HSE where the tailgate was playing up like that....

I ended up (IIRC) taking the striker off the top part of the tailgate, and then putting a thin washer between the striker and the tailgate, so that it stood out a bit further. Tightened it up a bit, aligned it, and problem solved...

The other thing you could try (I'm not sure if it would work, or how much of a pain it would be) would be to see if there's any adjustment to move the latch mechanism UP a tiny bit in the lower tailgate section... maybe it's been knocked about a bit or something with the attempts at latching... I took the easy option and adjusted the striker, so don't know if this is possible, but let us know how you get on :)

Martin

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mine does that sometimes, before you start adjusting things remove the trim from the lower tailgate give the latch a dose of WD40 and give it a go, it always works with mine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wow, you get a dryer wetter occassionally, I'd love to get a wetter dryer - in this part of the country that'd be nice:razz:

I've always believed, it's in casses like this, you need to find yourself a female mechanic.

I'd be taking the whole upper lock mechanism apart, looking at the microswitch, missing springs, bent stuff etc. Then giving it a good dose of lithium grease, and working it all in.

Then adjust the latch so a light pressure clicks it closed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts