RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the upper tailgate on my 1993. I like the idea of an aluminum option, but the ones I’ve seen have the glass blacked out where the third brake light is. What options would I have that would allow me to keep the brake light? I also want to make sure I can keep the central locking. Thanks.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
along with complete tailgate, rovers north used to carry the aluminum frame and you transferred your glass to it. the kit came with complete very comprehensive instructions, it took a good amount of time to complete. I did it twice and the first time it took me nearly 10 hrs, the second time about 8 1/2.
don't know if said frame kit is still available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
along with complete tailgate, rovers north used to carry the aluminum frame and you transferred your glass to it. the kit came with complete very comprehensive instructions, it took a good amount of time to complete. I did it twice and the first time it took me nearly 10 hrs, the second time about 8 1/2.
don't know if said frame kit is still available.
I was leaning toward going that route, though I’m a bit intimidated by the thought of doing it myself.

It’d be nice to keep the original glass, but another issue I have is that only 2-3 of the defrost wires are working. Is this a simple fix? Maybe just some solder?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
there is a rear defrost repair kit, I have used it before. you need to test for continuity at every line the find the damage and then repair, I have never used it on a large scale such as the one you describe, the other option is to learn from a glass shop if the coating blanking out the glass can be removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts