RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

On my 1983 resurrection project one of the first things I was replace the weak (probably original) upper tailgate struts that could not keep the window from staying up. I recall I bought them on ebay or something and they are a good fit but I have never been very happy with the amount of force they apply (too much) also they don't seem to do a lot of damping. Very clunky and very unsophisticated.

I was watching some you tube stuff on RRC (conversion job to electric interesting) and I noticed the guy is opening the tail gate and it just gently rises as it opens - very smooth. Mine wacks you in the face and to close you need to lean on it and it gives you a bit of a workout. My wife has given up on using it already.

I can buy the original LR parts MXC7833 at $40 ea but there are Britpart and Bearmach alternatives for much less. My question is: has anybody purchased the LR part and is it nice - like worth the $80? Also has somebody bought the cheaper alternatives and found they work the same as the LR part.

Thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ha ring struts that open your upper tailgate
That work is way better
And 80$ price
You will forget about
when it just swings open
With that said
I really can’t remember where I got mine
But I would check out autozone
They may have what your looking for
They have good gas struts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Avoid anything with Britpart on it...... I replaced the struts on my 93 then found I had to replace the latches too as every time I went over a bump the tailgate opened.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used the cheapest ($10\pair) struts available on ebay at the time. Made in Tunisia but have the same fit and do their job. Lift is smooth and it stays up..

With or without them on, my latches still require a firm slam to engage which I actually like.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Whatever strut you get, when installed and lid closed, the rod should be down and the cylinder up. So, rod connects to liftgate stud, cylinder connects to body stud. Most of the time the liftgate remains closed and in this position the strut's internal oil will keep the seal from drying out and eventually losing pressure.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your valuable feedback. I bit the bullet and purchased 'meself' some original Land Rover Struts MXC7833 from the Motherland for GBP 35 ($40) each (together with a bunch of other - so much cheaper - goodies). I know it sound silly, but knowing myself I will always keep wondering if any alternative (such as I have currently fitted) is providing too much lift. Now every time I will open the tailgate I know that this is how it was meant to be (correctly orientated, thank you Sophomore Rover). Currently overseas, but when I get home in Febr I will report my findings. ta

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

Just following up, I came home from a long overseas trip and with the Land Rover struts received I decided to fit them yesterday.

I am pleased to report a SIGNIFICANT difference compared to the 'cheap-o' URO struts I fitted a year ago. The force of the LR items is significantly less and the damping is beautifully controlled. I checked the force on a scale and the URO items required a force of 28kg about halfway down the stroke, while the LR struts required only 22kg.

While with the URO struts the top gate almost whacked you in the face, with the LR struts there is a nice gentle rise, you can actually let of and it gentry rises.

So very happy. I am sure there are other struts out there that would be equally good but obviously there are options out there that are just garbage.

Oh and yes I did fit them 'upside down' which has no effect on the function but hopefully will extend the life of the damping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts