RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be searching using the wrong terms. Our 95 Classic upper rear hatch is rusting out, getting close to really needing replacement. I kind of like the idea of one of the aluminum frames but so far I have found little on them when asking the companies that seem to carry them for more info. "Good" used ones seem to go for about $400 here and of course being the Northwest any that have been here a while will have some rust. Any ideas or recent experience replacing the rear upper hatch?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
159 Posts
Re: Upper rear hatch, replace, rebuild, find an good old one?

I recently replaced mine with an aluminium one. Thought about a used one, but then thought that after spending the money, I could still end up with a pile of rust after a couple of years. I got mine from Paddocks in the UK (http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/RAN...r_Classic_Top_Tailgate_(aluminium_frame).html), £180 GBP. This comes with the glass included and they'll ship to the US.

It fitted a treat and all the latches transferred from the old one with no problems. It's a bit more flexible than the steel one, but half the weight. I've heard that some people have problems with them bending slightly over time, but if you close it by pushing on the corners, then this should not happen

·
Registered
115 Posts

My previous frame was rusted so bad that the glass and frame were seperated from each other. I just replaced mine 2-3 weeks ago with one I found on ebay. The one I got is near perfect. No rust and I got it for 330 shipped. I called rovers north and atlantic british for about 4-6 months and their prices went up dramatically. Rovers north had new oem in stock for $1500 and aluminum for $700. I was also told that the aluminum replacement took a long time to put together because of all the small pieces that come with it. Then you also have to buy the handle lock seperately. I have no experience with buying from overseas. Hopefully that is a better option but i clicked on the link from someone elses reply and it said out of stock.

Try "Motorcars Ltd" out of Houston Texas 800-338-5238
http://www.motorcars-salvage.com/

I just moved from Orlando, Florida to Beaumont, Texas and I was never referred to "Motorcars Ltd". It's like nobody knew about this place.
If you want to check back to your post frequently I will check around for you as well and let you know if I find something decent out there.

·
Registered
269 Posts

I have a aluminum one that I bought for 600, I like it. A bit of a pain to put together, it took about half a day. I have a parts truck with a good one that I have no use for that you could buy :D But honestly if you got the coin go for the aluminum I have had it for over a year and have had no problems with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts