Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the threads regarding stuck tail gate but can't seem to find a fix if there is one.

I can hear the servo when pushing the button and the upper hatch always opens but then doesn't like to close (I assume this is a possible misaligned latch).

The bottom tail gate however won't open. After pulling and pushing I finally got it open and removed the carpet liner. I can see the lock arms moving when pressing the button.

The only "fix" I've read is to lube the connections on the arm and latch which I did or add a string into the arm so you can manually open the lower hatch. Is there no other alternative? What a pain.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
Mine does that. A sharp tug gets it open. I suspect something is a little tight or misaligned. The latch bolts pull back far enough to release it, but you'd think it was still latched.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Alignment directions are in RAVE. I;ve had several in the shop where the latches get sticky or the hooks become misaligned from slamming. Usually a bit of lube and a slight tweek rearward on the hooks fixes them right up.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alignment directions are in RAVE. I;ve had several in the shop where the latches get sticky or the hooks become misaligned from slamming. Usually a bit of lube and a slight tweek rearward on the hooks fixes them right up.
Thanks. I have RAVE but on a Mac so the files are quite hard to manually sift thru. I think I found it in section 76 chassis and body? Can you elaborate on "slight tweak rearward".

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
11 Posts
Hey there, I have the same problem with my vehicle. I can open the upper hatch by pushing the button, but then the button is stuck and I can hear the servo inside unsuccessfully trying to reset itself.

To open the tail-gate I have to smack the inside of the tail-gate panel (the carpeted side, right behind the button). Then when I close up, I usually have to close the tail-gate and smack the inside of tail-gate again in order for the upper hatch to latch.

Certainly not a great permanent fix, but it allows me to lock everything up. I think smacking the inside of the panel could be considered a "slight tweek"? :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update... Oddly enough the tail and hatch work perfect when the outside temp is over 40 degrees. No issues. Below 40 they stick. Assuming the cold weather is constricting the mechanism.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
623 Posts
Oil the latches. I had to do the same last week. Works 10 times better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts