RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am about to pull the trigger on a 2002, upgrading from my 1998. I dont know this bosch motor compared to my gems, but besides the usual suspension stuff, blend door motors, o-rings, etc what else should I be on the lookout for that isnt as common a problem on my 1998?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Re: upgrading from a 1998 to a 2002 HSE with 83k miles-advice?

Any common stuff on '98, you'll probably see on a '02. Nothing really sticks out as a major thing to watch out for in a '02, that you don't see on a '98.

Just have a good test drive, and listen for any irregular noise. On used RRs that's not well maintained, I ususally hear clonking sound when put in reverse or from reverse to D, that's probably due to loose UJs. Starting from that, just have a look through the engine compartment. Look for any residual leaks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Couple big things- First, the guy's a smoker so that makes it brutal inside until I can replace the sagging headliner, sprinkle baking soda on the rugs, and scrub the heck out of everything. I could really use any suggestions on what to do there. Second, there is coolant on rug so orings need to be changed. quite a few other things, but for now besides the eas reset, 19" bald tire replacement, and the valve block replacement, that's all that's on my project list. I must be a glutton for punishment.

·
Registered
965 Posts

Frankly, other than the fact that the car has been smoked in, the stuff you've listed doesn't sound like a deal breaker.

'02 w/ just 83k these days' hard to come by, so if the engine/transmission is sound in this car, I would go for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hi over here (uk) I use a spray can for dog smells its called FEBREEZE and its very good doesnt just mask the smell for a while it gets rid of it a dealer friend of mine uses it on cars that have been smoked in .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yah, pretty much. We definitely have febreeze here, but this thing needs to be nuked inside. There is a treatment called Ozone shock treatment, it runs inside the car and supposedly oxidizes all that smoke; i'll see if that will fix it. It's nearly undrivable at this point, but the info on ozonating a car is pretty thorough. Apparently it can get rid of anything. I'm going to pay a detailer with the right machine to do it. I guess the machines $500, but you can just find a detailer that does. Here's a link on it:http://www.ehow.com/how_155813_remove-cigarette-odors.html

I guess the really big rub is that there wasn't anything major wrong with my car, and now I'm buying into many of the usual problems that are going to take my attention. The good thing is that I only commute a mile.

I know within a year I'll need to do the dual exhaust bc it's starting to rust. He put 19" flake rims with the continental tires which is a great look, but they're not going to pass inspection so I have to find a way to replace them. UGH.

Also, the paint is in desperate need of some rubbing compound and a wax-there's some oxidation that ireally hope brings back the lustre on the black paint job. we'll see I guess. Like I said, i'm jumping from a warm frying pan into a fire i'm hoping I can turn the heat down on quickly. :|

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I just bought a system called "autovaccine" where it releases chlorine dioxide to oxidize the smoke. I'll let you know how it goes. it was $25 and i'll be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts

My 2nd Rover was a low mileage smoker when I bought it and i tried for months to get the smell out. After the third month I finally just went through everthing and i mean everything. Changed Filters, Leatherigque the seats, deep shampoed the carpet and totally replace the floormats. Took 4-5 hours but after I was done it finally smelled normal and stayed that way.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts

afox04 said:
Yah, pretty much. We definitely have febreeze here, but this thing needs to be nuked inside. There is a treatment called Ozone shock treatment, it runs inside the car and supposedly oxidizes all that smoke; i'll see if that will fix it. It's nearly undrivable at this point, but the info on ozonating a car is pretty thorough. Apparently it can get rid of anything. I'm going to pay a detailer with the right machine to do it. I guess the machines $500, but you can just find a detailer that does. Here's a link on it:http://www.ehow.com/how_155813_remove-cigarette-odors.html

I guess the really big rub is that there wasn't anything major wrong with my car, and now I'm buying into many of the usual problems that are going to take my attention. The good thing is that I only commute a mile.

I know within a year I'll need to do the dual exhaust bc it's starting to rust. He put 19" flake rims with the continental tires which is a great look, but they're not going to pass inspection so I have to find a way to replace them. UGH.

Also, the paint is in desperate need of some rubbing compound and a wax-there's some oxidation that ireally hope brings back the lustre on the black paint job. we'll see I guess. Like I said, i'm jumping from a warm frying pan into a fire i'm hoping I can turn the heat down on quickly. :|

i work for a dealer (buick/gmc) --we bought an ozone machine to eliminate smoke a year or so ago---it doesn't work long term, the odor will return. my advice is to save your money. probably lots of febreze is a better bet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Oh wow. good to know that it returns. Any idea how long? I will be shampooing the carpets too, and replacing the headliner hopefully. :roll: hoping it'll work. I've already pulled the trigger on the chlorine dioxide, so I'm hoping it solves it for at least 6 months? I hope it works well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts