RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked Atl. British, but not sure about plugs and wires.
1) Is there a "better" spark plug for my 2001 P38?
2) Where do I find them, and where do I find "better" spark plug wire kits?
THANKS

·
Registered
665 Posts
define better. mor epower, not likely.

OEMs seem to last the longest hence they're more reliable, i buy all my wires OEM, never aftermarket.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not even see the wires at Atl British.com, maybe I'll call. I just wonder if any upgrades since 01? Someone suggested once "hotter" wires. Not sure what they meant or if Atl. British has it?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
I am running the live wires on my RR. they have been very good. I am the original test mule for the Bosch motors. I have the iginition coils as well.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I just replaced our champion double platinums with the same. 4 of the old ones were very close in spec to new ones-.040 gap I think. 4 were abused and had gaps up to .055 with minor amounts of missing metal in the ground and the points were nearly burned off down to the ceramic. Not sure when changed -see info below but at least 50k miles and probably 75k. Wires were not oem but were fine-I did change them out for an ebay listing for 50$ but no numbering as previous ones had and as mentioned above-no issues after about 2k miles but no fuel improvements as per on board computer-vibrations at 66-70 mph as before. Magnacors seemed to be the replacement of choice until I read that some posters had bad ends on theirs. Sounds like the get lost wires make sense. Our old leads were a brand i can not remember but seemed to still be in fine working order and no electrical gremlins attributable to them. On the champs I noticed some carbon on the end of the plug which would support the benefit of the e3 plug which effectively has an open end to fire the mixture vs firing from each side of the curved ground point. I think either type will be fine. I wanted champs because an old mech told me GM stuff should only be fired by champs. I lost a bit of an NGK plug in a chev engine but likely due to the leaking intake gasket and corroded computer that contributed to the missinfg piece. Just my .02

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
232 Posts
I checked Atl. British, but not sure about plugs and wires.
1) Is there a "better" spark plug for my 2001 P38?
2) Where do I find them, and where do I find "better" spark plug wire kits?
THANKS
Magnecor Spark plug wires, last longer than LR factory wires, and deal with the underhood temp on the the LR V8 .
One of the few "uncontested" upgrades, at least here in the US
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm
I had a set on my GEMS for 140k miles and just installed a new set on my 01 Bosch RR.
Ordered from.
http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-1155.htm ($100 aprox)

As for spark plugs on the Bosch engine, too early to recommend them but I have installed Champion Iridium plugs, would have preferred the NGK Iridiums but finding them locally was problematic.

The Rovers aluminum heads and awkward angels especially with advanced EVAP (remove secondary air pump), makes it easy to cross the spark plug threads if you are using anything but your fingers when installing, taking a close look at the angle of the plug helps.
I use a touch of anti-seize on the plugs and chase the threads before hand, make sure your hands are clean when handling the plugs and torque carefully.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Getlost, as I recall you had some issues with the prototypes? They must have figured it out, cool!

I think I might get some coils and wires this summer.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
the first couple sets had some hicups. they have doing fine for the last 6000 miles. no issues. They sent me some Champion Iridium plugs (junk), replaced those with NGK platinum's (much better). My mileage is around 15 mpg combined with 33" tires. not bad for an old 128K motor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi

I also give a thumb up for magnecor wires:thumb:. Use em myself, original spec. on the sparks even running LPG.

Best regards Brage

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Hi

I also give a thumb up for magnecor wires:thumb:. Use em myself, original spec. on the sparks even running LPG.

Best regards Brage
Have heard great things from people about the magnacore leads,what does a set of those cost approximately?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
About GBP 80 -- just fitted a set.

They look very nice (I got the blue ones) and come with clips to bunch the wires. :)

Absolutely no difference to the running that I can detect! They say that OEM are also very good .... but also pricey last time I looked. Magnecore is a smallish private company that seems passionate about their products and that's part of the reason for buying them.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
About GBP 80 -- just fitted a set.

They look very nice (I got the blue ones) and come with clips to bunch the wires. :)

Absolutely no difference to the running that I can detect! They say that OEM are also very good .... but also pricey last time I looked. Magnecore is a smallish private company that seems passionate about their products and that's part of the reason for buying them.
Very good thanks mate.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you seen our Live Wires: View attachment 16671
No I haven't until now. They look quite fat, will they clip into the stock wire holders? I must admit I am skeptical of companies advertising power gains from spark plugs, coils and wires, most of the time people are changing those components because of failure and wear so its hard to gauge any real improvement over perfectly operating OEM ignition components which are rarely swapped out. The accel leads were a improvement over the clapped out standard leads BTW, that misfired in bad weather. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts