RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have 2014 RRS L494 SE. I am considering to upgrade my speedometer / instrument cluster to digital one that comes in HSE and higher trims (in North America).
Does anyone know if they compatible for straight swap?
Anyone done the replacement?
How difficult is to remove instrument cluster?

Old part number: EPLA - 10849-CB
New part number: EPLA - 10849-JC

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't but I am super interested in doing it.
here's a video of it working so it is definitely possible I just am not sure how.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't look like it is hard to replace one
I have just replaced central AC vent and I have to remove part of instrumental cluster, there is just one screw, and couple clips to pull. Removing steering wheel (disconnect battery first) most likely is must to make it possible to maneuver pieces around.
Looking on eBay there are different part numbers listed, so I am still not clear which one I should buy - North American or European version, diesel vs gasoline version and etc.
Any guidance on the exact part is welcome or difference between different part numbers and potential compatibility.
For now I will wait for guys at PowerfulUK to try it first.
Look up their channel on YouTube for updates.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’ve decided to give this a go as well and through my research, I’ve found a few things:

1. Another poster here stated that he saw digital dash settings in the CCF files, which means it’s most likely not plug & play and will require programming. I’ve purchased the Gap tool and will report on this once I receive and have time to mess with it.
2. Regarding part numbers, the one you posted above is the correct one, however it’s my understanding that some part numbers are also tied to the VIN and date of manufacture. For example, if an instrument cluster went bad and needed to be ordered by a dealer, they would not use the part number, but rather the engineering number on the failed part. The same engineering number would ensure the part would fit.

The great thing about the engineering number is that since this number is stamped all over parts in our cars, this is the number that part breakers tend to use when they post their parts online.

Therefore, my suggestion is to search for “Range Rover 10849” on eBay. The full number is some variant of:
GPLA-10849-KC
GPLA-10849-KA
CPLA-10849-AF
FPLA-10849-KA
EPLA-10849-JE

These are the ones I’ve found so far, there may be more.

Check the details in the listing, most breakers will list the car the part is from (usually in the detailed description)... use this to find a close match for your car.

A few other notes on my findings: It looks like they use the same model in both the Full size (L405) and the sport (L494), so don’t just look for “Range Rover sport”. Also, I’ve seen the same engineering number in parts from UK and US cars, so I don’t think they are “handed”.

I’m beginning to think the only difference in the instrument cluster numbers is the date of manufacturing, but I’m not completely sure yet.

FWIW, I narrowed my 2016 RRS TD6 to GPLA-10849-KC... at least that’s the closest match I could find... the parts car was a 2016 RRS SDV6.

Finally, the instrument cluster is much cheaper from the UK... around $400 usd, compared to US breakers in the $800 range.

Hope this helps and please post any findings you come across.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for additional info. Looking forward to hear back how your replacement going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts