RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

First post, hope I don't mess it up (edited to remove all links). Been searching and reading for a while now on several forums. The CD player in my RRS 2006 model packed it in a year or so ago, and I'm getting a bit bored with the german radio (I live in Switzerland). It seems there are some viable options for replacement of the head unit in these cars nowadays. Has anyone tried this facia/integration kit from Connects2:

youtube dot com/watch?v=NdpOAFj5XDs - this seems to me to provide the necessary integration with the steering wheel buttons as well as the trim suited to a 'generic' head unit. Which leads to my next question, which head units have anyone used and liked that would go with this kit? I have made enquiries with Erisin, who direct me to their product page here: erisin dot com/c/universal-head-units-0361/1.html - but I don't know what dimensions fit in hole left when you take the original head unit out.

I've also sent an inquiry to Connects2, who seem to offer quite a few options: connects2 dot com/products/installation-kits/vehicle/Land%20Rover/Range-Rover-Sport

I would like to add support for gps as well as reversing camera, front camera and iphone integration.

incartec dot co dot uk/product/Landrover-rear-camera - looks like an interesting option for the camera, and there's already a good thread here about installing one.

And they also offer both branded and generic kits for this conversion: incartec dot co dot uk/Landrover/Range-Rover-Sport/Stereo-Upgrade-Double-Din

incartec dot co dot uk/product/RR-Sport-Discovery-3-fitting-with-screen-retention

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.

Regards - Mike

Range Rover Sport 2006

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the reply mgrover, looks like a really nice build.
I am thinking of doing what the guys in this video have done:
And using perhaps this head unit: Erisin ES7936U-64 6.2" 2 Din Nissan/Universal Android 9.0 Car Stereo GPS WiFi DAB+ DVR OBD CD DTV-IN BT
Plus this adaptor kit: Connects2 Ltd
My Rangie has the standard Harmon Kardon system, not the uprated 'Logic 7' system, as far as I have been able to tell.
Did yours have the Logic 7, and is this why the need for the fibre optic bits?
Thanks in anticipation. Mike

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
158 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply mgrover, looks like a really nice build.
I am thinking of doing what the guys in this video have done:
And using perhaps this head unit: Erisin ES7936U-64 6.2" 2 Din Nissan/Universal Android 9.0 Car Stereo GPS WiFi DAB+ DVR OBD CD DTV-IN BT
Plus this adaptor kit: Connects2 Ltd
My Rangie has the standard Harmon Kardon system, not the uprated 'Logic 7' system, as far as I have been able to tell.
Did yours have the Logic 7, and is this why the need for the fibre optic bits?
Thanks in anticipation. Mike
I think Harmon kardon is fibre optic either way. But the connects2 system should sort it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And this is where I start to get a bit confused. The connects2.com site has two versions of this adaptor kit, one says definitely for the fibre optic only setup, which implies to me that there are non-fibre optic equipped cars out there: Connects2 Ltd
Whereas these guys at Incartec if you navigate using their selection menu, choose your make, model, etc, it ends up asking if you have the Logic 7 HK stereo or not, and presents you with different products depending on the answer: Landrover Range Rover III (L322/Vogue) Stereo Upgrades & Car Audio Cables For Radio Fitting
Choosing the Incartec route I think I would end up needing this fitting kit: Landrover Range Rover III (L322/Vogue) Stereo Upgrade Fitting Parts, Car Audio Cables, Parking Cameras & Handsfree Bluetooth
Surely someone on this forum has either done this, or seen it done at least.
Cheers - Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for your help mgrover. To answer your question, well I would like to keep the upper head unit, though its navigation features are way out of date, it's still good for selecting the language setting for the entire dash, as well as monitoring the 4WD settings.
So today I bit the first part of the bullet, and tore down my dash to investigate exactly which system I presently have. It's definitely the fibre optic equipped one. Here are some photos.
centreConsole.jpg backOfHeadUnit.jpg fiberOptic_closeup.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I think this is the way I am going now:
InCarTec fitting system to retain steering wheel controls, upper nav screen with fibre optics and give a nice facia: RR Sport/Discovery 3 fitting with screen retention - InCarTec
InCarTec extras to have replacement head/gps unit retain original front speaker interface (don't want to have to manually adjust stereo volume just to hear the nav talk): NAVAMP navigation audio retention interface - InCarTec
And the Erisin head unit as a 'generic' replacement: Erisin ES7936U-64 6.2" 2 Din Nissan/Universal Android 9.0 Car Stereo GPS WiFi DAB+ DVR OBD CD DTV-IN BT

The only outstanding question I'm looking into now is the reference in the first link above from InCarTec where they say "A new extra amplifier will be needed to keep the original sub-woofer" (there is a Subwoofer Out socket on the Erisin). And I don't quite understand why their kit would include a '-Amplifier bypass cable' - why would I want to bypass the amplifier?

I think I will also have to get a DAB+ box from Erisin, and probably the reversing camera from InCarTec also.

Cheers - Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
because under the screen retention and all that the amp doesnt work. so you lose the sub, thats why you need the bypass cable to retain the other speakers. or go down the route I did and get the decoder, but then you lose the upper screen

edit if you check that rrsport post i've updated it with the relevant information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK - I think I'm finally starting to get my head around what will be required here. I spoke with the Connects2 technical support, and even they say to use the InCarTec kit, because it retains the Nav head unit full functionality. However they did point out that their kit integrates the entire stereo including subwoofer automatically, but kills the Nav head unit. In looking more closely at the InCarTec setup, their system relies on keeping the original head unit (main stereo, 6 CD stacker etc) and relocating it somewhere else in the car - that's how they keep the Nav unit in the loop, by not removing the original head unit and thus retaining the complete fibre MOST loop. I really don't want to have the old head unit just taking up space somewhere in order to keep the Nav in the loop. So I suspect that the old head unit could be replaced by a simple fibre optic loop closer such as this one: MOST Fiber Optic Bypass Loop Adapter Plug - For Mercedes BMW Porsche Audi VW
Sounds reasonable?

Cheers - Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK - I think I'm finally starting to get my head around what will be required here. I spoke with the Connects2 technical support, and even they say to use the InCarTec kit, because it retains the Nav head unit full functionality. However they did point out that their kit integrates the entire stereo including subwoofer automatically, but kills the Nav head unit. In looking more closely at the InCarTec setup, their system relies on keeping the original head unit (main stereo, 6 CD stacker etc) and relocating it somewhere else in the car - that's how they keep the Nav unit in the loop, by not removing the original head unit and thus retaining the complete fibre MOST loop. I really don't want to have the old head unit just taking up space somewhere in order to keep the Nav in the loop. So I suspect that the old head unit could be replaced by a simple fibre optic loop closer such as this one: MOST Fiber Optic Bypass Loop Adapter Plug - For Mercedes BMW Porsche Audi VW
Sounds reasonable?

Cheers - Mike
So CD/head unit is stripped down to just the head unit, very slim and tucks away behind the dashboard. The old headunit can then be replaced by that yes, but then you will lose the upper screen functionality. but if your going with the connects2 kit you won't need that loop adapter plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK - but the Connects2 guys say that the upper unit is lost when using their kit - it will only display the landrover logo, and nothing else. I want to keep the upper unit, as it selects the language for the dash as well as displays the 4WD nav. If I go with the InCarTec kit, and remove the CD stacker head unit completely, the loop adapter plug should close the gap created by removing the CD stacker from the MOST loop - and therefore the Nav screen will still work. The only downside is I'm likely to need to add an extra amplifier for the subwoofer, depending on what the Erisin output levels are on the sub-out line.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK - but the Connects2 guys say that the upper unit is lost when using their kit - it will only display the landrover logo, and nothing else. I want to keep the upper unit, as it selects the language for the dash as well as displays the 4WD nav. If I go with the InCarTec kit, and remove the CD stacker head unit completely, the loop adapter plug should close the gap created by removing the CD stacker from the MOST loop - and therefore the Nav screen will still work. The only downside is I'm likely to need to add an extra amplifier for the subwoofer, depending on what the Erisin output levels are on the sub-out line.
no it wont still work since the head unit controls the upper screen. so you have to retain the head unit if you want to keep the upper screen.

if you want the upper screen AND the sub. basically you then have to hook up your own amp and get the incartec retain loom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts