RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
What the 2020 option on sunroof rail repair parts. eBay stuff is crap? A entire new unit is a band aid until they crack... or silicon the roof shut?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the ebay thing several years ago from Bross Auto Parts in Turkey and was sceptical but worth a punt for the little money they were. I had to spend a very very long time polishing with very fine sandpaper to get a smooth action on the slides but eventually it paid off and at a fraction of the price. Nylon Mouldings were correct but poor finish means a little rectification work.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just found a P38 with sunroof at pick a part, took both sunroof rails and sold the left and right parts on ebay.
You have to find a used car or buy the real parts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Copy. Can you remove the entire sunroof assembly from inside of the truck or do you need to remove the glass panel and then unbolt the entire assembly?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Rather than doing a mix and match, find a working sunroof cassette, drop the headlining, undo the 6 bolts and drop it out. Fit the whole lot (after giving the runners and cables a clean up and grease). All done from inside the car although ideally it is a 3 man job, two to hold it in place and one to fit the bolts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is the plan for today. I’m pulling a complete one from a donor truck. Hopefully the parts are not brittle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you decide on replacing the parts vs. dropping the headliner and removing the entire unit.

Range Rover P38 Sunroof Repair

Tools needed:

T-handle tool that came with the P38. (If you do not have this a large flat blade screw driver will work)

20 torx screw driver

25 torx screw driver

#2 phillips screw driver

Small flat blade screw driver

Auto trim pry tool

Auto trim glue

Thread locker

1. Move sunroof to the most forward tilted up position using the electronic switch or using the manual T-handle inserted into the sunroof motor spindle. The sunroof motor is exposed by pulling down the dome light trim piece that is between the sun visors. If your sunroof is broken then one or both sides will not raise into the tilt position but try and get it to the tilt position and at least get the motor all the way into the forward position so the sunroof would be tilting.

2. Slide the 2 covers rearward to remove them to expose the screws that hold the sunroof into place. Remove the four 25 torx screws.

3. Unattached the sunroof guide from the sunroof for the rear left and right positions.

4. Unattached the locating pins from the sunroof guides on the forward left and right positions.

5. Raise up the free sunroof and place it on the roof of the P38.

6. Remove the two 20 torx screws to remove the wind deflector.

7. Remove the four small Phillips screws that hold on the rain channel

8. Remove the 4 sunroof sliding headliner clips

9. Remove the sliding headliner

10. Remove the two #2 Phillips screws that hold on the cover that is in the middle of each channel. Use the flat blade screw driver to pry away the cover. This will expose where the cable attaches onto the guide.

11. Using the small flat blade screw driver remove the cable from the channel.

12. Removed the small Phillips screw at the rear of each slide

13. Removed the Phillips screw at the most forward position of the slide.

14. Slide out and remove the lifter from the sunroof guide

15. Using an auto trim pry tool lift up on each channel where the lifter was. Each channel is glued down with auto trim glue.

15. Once each channel is pried up pull the channel toward the front of the vehicle to remove it from the attachment of the rear of the channel and then fully remove the channel from the vehicle.

16. Dismantle each guide and channel taking special note how to put it back together with white lithium grease.

17. Remove three 8mm bolts that hold in the sunroof motor. Keep motor plugged in.

18. Using the electronic switch hold the button down in the open position until the motor stops. Then press the button for the closed position until the motor stops. The motor is now in the tilt position. (if the motor did not turn for long going in the open position repeat step 18 unit the closed positing is an appropriate time and the closed position is an appropriate time.)

19. Reinstall both guides with the lifters with Auto Trim glue and the posterior Phillips head screw and the most forward phillis head screw that also holds down the lifters.

20. Slide the inner mechanisms of each guide into the most forward position so it is in the tilt position.

21. Reattach each cable

22. Reattach each cover that hits the attachment of the cable to the guide. (This is the hardest part).

23. Reinstall the motor

24. The T handle needs to be inserted into the motor spindle and rotated counter clockwise quarter of a turn so the motor engages the cable.

25. You should be able to test the sunroof open and closing without the glass to ensure the motor and guides work properly.

26. Reinstall the sliding headliner with 4 clips

27. Reinstall the rain gutter with four phillips screws

28. Reinstall glass. Position the forward locating pins first, then the sunroof track onto the guide that tilts up, then each of the four torx screws. Test and adjust the torx screws so the sunroom is the right height when fully closed. Use thread locker now to lock torx screws in place.

29. Reinstall wind deflector.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have done both ways and I prefer the in car method. Once you do it , you just service it when needed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got a used one of a truck at a junkyard and after fighting the stuff in the car cutting away what was left of the half destroyed headliner and undoing the bolts the roof didn’t drop down like I expected. I was baffled. I then crawled out of the truck and swept the 8” of snow off the roof to discover the sunroof edges were duct taped to the roof of the car... Crap I’m guessing it is broken and the PO taped it shut. So I took it anyway and after I get time to clean it up I’m sure I’ll be fixing 2 broken plastic pieces. I ordered a plastic kit and I’m prepped for 5 hours of sanding and dremeling to get the new molds to work. I now have a sunroof I can repair in a warm garage at my leisure while I wait for Spring. I can now cross of getting Rover parts in 14 degrees and snowing with 11” snow on the ground off my list.
It’s a good thing I love my Rover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts