RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It may seem hard to remember now, but back in the day – before Porsche Cayennes roamed the earth alongside Mercedes SUVs aplenty – the Range Rover was the be-all-and-end-all in the luxury sport-ute market. Today Range Rover may have some stiff competition, but JLR is keen to prove its top of the line is still the king of the hill, and to that effect has released a series of upgrades to the 2011 model.

First and foremost is the diesel drivetrain: a new 4.4-liter LT-TDV8 with 308 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque (rumored to be sourced from Ford) replaces the old 3.6-liter unit, coupled to a new ZF eight-speed automatic. The 7.5-second sprint to sixty may be a far cry from the 5.9 seconds it takes the gasoline-burning supercharged 5-liter V8, but for a heavy oil-burner returning over 30 miles per gallon on the European combined cycle (the first Range Rover to break that particular efficiency barrier), that's nothing to cough at. Speaking of the Supercharged model, that engine carries over essentially unchanged, but mated as well to the eight-speed auto. The diesel also benefits from the Supercharged model's Brembo braking system.

Other revisions include an upgraded Terrain Response system, some minor cosmetic changes, new wheel options, an optional Exterior Design Pack and a special 40th anniversary Autobiography Black edition. These details – more of which you can read about in the press release and view in the video after the jump – are unfortunately limited to the European model, so we'll have to sit tight for the revisions to reach American shores. No word on plans to bring the diesel model across the pond, so for now we'll just have to add this to the growing list of torque-tastic diesels to admire from afar.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
976 Posts
Specific updates for the U.S. models:

* new exterior choices of Fuji White (replaces Alaska White) and Baltic Blue (replaces Buckingham Blue)
* tow bar, adaptive lighting, automatic high beam assist and blind spot monitoring are all available as an options now and not a standard features
* added a vision assist package which includes adaptive front lights, automatic high beam assist, blind spot monitoring and surround camera onto all trim levels

Changes on the 2011 Autobiography are:

*1200 watt harman kardon LOGIC7 6 disc changer with 19 speakers is now standard
*unique 20" silver sparkle alloy wheel
*rear seat recline including 4-way lumbar support and heated/cooled rear seats is standard
*vision assist package is standard

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
rfdiii said:
When will they figure out that the diesel is really wanted in the US?!? I would much rather have the TDV8 with great power and economy too!
This is one thing that gets to me too. 'They' blame the American public whenever the debate turns to gas guzzlers: "We're only giving the people what they want". But 'they' never saw fit to offer a decent alternative. You're not the only one who feels this way - there was a similar discussion on the P38 board years ago. Even the SAV's (X5, Cayenne/Dewrag) are all offered as diesels over here.

This is one of the probs of our times, tho. All short term thinking.

Auto execs. Whata buncha maroons.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 40Th anniversary autobiagraphy black model with red upholstery is definitely not British luxury anymore , bot more like a rapper's delight !!!! :crybaby2:
Jaybear

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I have to say, LR is really screwing up with all the de-contenting. On top of having to now pay for the adaptive lights and blind spot mirrors, it looks like I'm going to have to actually pay for the tow bar as well... BS! Judging from those pics, it looks like it's also going to have that stupid Jaguar shifter... Double BS!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised they went with the Jaguar shifter. I had the new XF as a loaner for a few days, and I can only imagine the horror stories if the electronics that raise and lower the circular, gear selector ever malfunctioned. I also wondered how you would even get the car in neutral if your battery ever died, since there wouldn't be any power to raise the circular gear selector in the first place.

As a side note, it looks like the halo LEDs around the headlights have a blue tint as well.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
And - for those of us who actually take our RR's off-road - I'd like to see someone shift rapidly from D to R on a failed hillclimb... :roll:

·
Registered
248 Posts
michaeltw said:
Specific updates for the U.S. models:

* new exterior choices of Fuji White (replaces Alaska White) and Baltic Blue (replaces Buckingham Blue)
Why, oh, why? Buckingham Blue was one of the nicest colors ever made.

The other changes are okay I guess. I personally don't mind the Jaguar gear-shifter, I LOVE the updated TDV8 and new gearbox, but I would wish for a more down-to-earth-version. Sometimes you should keep it simple. (The less you have, the less can break)

All those new electronic gimmicks are great, and LR needs them to compete against other luxury carmakers, and surely for the chinese and saudi market. Again, I don't need them, I don't miss them, but I would order them. Weird, isn't it? :oops:

About the design: It's okay, but personally I find that this car doesn't need LED's and the three things at the lights and sidevents (SC). Keep it simple!

Thanks.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
976 Posts
Bruin2006 said:
I can only imagine the horror stories if the electronics that raise and lower the circular, gear selector ever malfunctioned. I also wondered how you would even get the car in neutral if your battery ever died, since there wouldn't be any power to raise the circular gear selector in the first place.
I thought about this too and did a little research on the way Jaguar does it. I realize it's minutia but maybe it will interest someone. And anyone with a Jaguar knows this stuff already.

To start, from the 2010 XJ Manual:

IF THE SELECTOR FAILS TO ELEVATE
If the JaguarDrive selector is obstructed, remove the obstruction and then start the
engine. The selector should elevate as normal. If the selector still fails to elevate, even if there
is no obstruction, a fault in the system is indicated. The selector can still be used in the
lowered position, but be aware that it will not automatically select P when the engine is
switched off, so P should be selected manually. The fault should be rectified by a Dealer at the
earliest opportunity.
As noted above, the system automatically selects Park:

P should be selected before switching off the engine. However, it is possible to switch the
engine off with R, D or S selected - the selector will automatically select P, while retracting into
the center console.
An finally, what to do if you really can't get it into Neutral:

To prevent the transmission from automatically selecting P (e.g. for vehicle
recovery purposes), it is necessary to activate the Emergency Park Release. Vehicle recovery
should only be undertaken by qualified personnel.
I had to do some further searching around to find the Emergency Park Release info.

Check out pages 18 - 24 from this PDF:
Jaguar XF Transport Handling Guide

There's a hidden pull strap connected to a lever under some trim behind the cup holder that will engage Neutral.

I guess we'll find out how Land Rover is doing it in the next few months.

Too much information maybe?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
976 Posts
And one more post - just commenting on the changes.

I really do think that adding the Jaguar shifter was purely to share parts, they just didn't want to purchase the old BMW designed parts anymore. I love the look of the part with its Bentley-esque knurling, but shouldn't they make it match with the rest of the interior design. They could swap all the switchgear knobs for some kind of knurled knobs. It could be done tastefully and would bring the design more upmarket. Instead we have all these "Noble finish" knobs with rubber notches and this very uniquely patterned one sticking out in the middle - just seems lazy.

And then continued to change the basic design of Terrain Response, they had the same interface for every Land Rover sold here and now it goes from a knob to this left/right toggle. And with the way that toggle tapers off, I can imagine putting myself in Sand mode very inadvertently. Prior to this, if you were in a mode and wanted to go back to Normal, a big counter-clockwise spin would do that without even looking - how does that work now? If you're in Rock Crawl, do you have to hit the "left" side 4 times?

If they really wanted to do something that would add to the car - give us true keyless entry - I would guess every other car in the class let's you lock/unlock with just the key in your pocket - even the LR4/Sport do it. And even further then that, let's have the feature that closes the doors that last inch.

And finally, I don't have a problem with the de-contenting, more standard features are always better, but compared to a few years ago, I'm just glad there's content to "de".

·
Registered
238 Posts
The range rover embedded in the gear shift was a nod to history. Strange that in celebrating its 40th year such a signature should disappear. I like the feel of leather so for me this is a backwards step.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts