RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know, we just got a 2003 Mk3 with 114k on it.
Looking to do some preventative maintenance and cure a few little oil leaks.
Following is what I have down thus far:
Both valve cover gaskets and washers.
Upper timing cover gaskets.
Timing chain tensioner.
New filters for oil, air, tranny and plenum.
VCC seals.
Plugs.
Anything else that would accompany that?
Will be doing a FULL fluid change too, diffs, coolant, oil, transfer case and tranny.
I have read that there may be issues with the PCV system, what needs to be replaced?
Also a possible weak spot on the top of the motor regards a coolant tube?
Cheers as always!
Martin

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
888 Posts
pcv system/hoses should be on your list.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
515 Posts
If the coolant, and all heater hoses (including the hoses to the aux water pump) have not been replaced, I would do all those as well, including the coolant tank. Just so you have have a solid starting point for all maint. I did all my hoses and coolant tank at 60K. PCV was just done by prior owner at 50K. Don't forget the belts.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
pcv system/hoses should be on your list.
It was....

And the PCV lines to replace include the oil drain hoses that snake down the rear-right side of the engine. The one that goes to the PCV diaphram/intake manifold rear cover can melt & disintgrate and leave another potential vacuum leak.

The coolant line you're probably talking about is a short one, behind the engine, up around the intake manifold. Cheap piece, easy to replace, especially if you're replacing the PCV hoses and/or "valve" assembly on the back of the intake manifold.
The gaskets for the front & rear intake manifold gaskets are pretty cheap, and might need a change.
(I know, nickle & diming...)

As mentioned above, the coolant hoses, NOT so much for the condition of the hoses, but of the plastic quick-disconnects that fall apart from heat after probably 5+ years. One of mine blew on the highway, as did my water pump bearing years ago.
Coolant to use that is safest for the plastic in the BMW cooling system is the BMW coolant, specifically, mixed of course w/ distilled water.

You probably read all of this multiple times, since so many of us have commiserated our RR mechanical failures, in detail, ad-nauseum all over these pages like a mixture of blood and puke.

These in addition to the trasnmission fluid & filter changes are at least some of the primary prevenative steps you can take; specifically ones that can result in catastrophic failure at the most inconvenient opportunity, when you least expect, want, or need it to happen.

Also if you can, check to see if there is flow through the whole radiator. Some aged ones seem to lose circulation in the bottm portion, which in-turn will starve the transmission cooler from performing as it should, detrimental to your tranny. See if the drain petcock has good flow.

Happy wrenching!:thumb:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Martin, by VCC seals do you mean the Vanos system seals (o-rings), like what is offered by BeisanSystems.com? I just got my 03' with 110k about a month ago, also in mid missouri (as you know) and have been on a similar mission. So far I've replaced the plugs/boots, air filter, MAF sensor, oxygen sensors, oil change/filter. Will be replacing my torque converter and obviously doing a trans filter/fluid flush then, but eventually I will be dealing with this annoying Vanos rattle I have.

Btw, the MAF sensor made a big difference for me as far as how the engine starts and idles, very smooth and consistent now, and I think worth replacing around 120-130k. I was experiencing some rough idle issues on warm starts so I replaced it, but I know it's ~$150 and for you if it's not broken why fix it. Regards, Evan

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
All will probably be done when the time comes, so will start looking for the best prices etc for it all.
Probably be ordering from a couple of suppliers though, as finding it all at one place is about impossible unless I am missing something.......
Evan, here they are mate
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LUD000010G.cfm

Martin

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I almost forgot,
An obscure, little problem with headlight wiper system...
When your headlight wipers begin to act-up, specifically when the left headlight wiper begins to stop in mid-travel and need a reset, it is NOT the expensive wiper motor that is causing it.
It'll be the washer fluid pump for the headlights.
These pumps corrode and short over time. When they do, they screw with the headlight system, and can cause other electrical gremlins, like possible battery discharge.
Direct fit replacements are very available on E-Bay, for really good prices, and probably better quality than the OEM. You can find them by plugging-in the part number, and find a wide variety of brands. The ones I got are "made in Germany", I forget the brand. But they were less than $10 each, no tax depending on state, and free shipping (most anyway).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Martin, I'm assuming that your Vanos solenoids are just leaking a bit of oil then, and you don't have any rattle up top? I'll be purchasing the timing lock set needed to replace the Vanos seals to fix the rattle I have, and if you ever need it (though hopefully from the sound of it you don't have any rattle and won't) I'd be happy to lend it to you since you are so close. Silly that the job requires a pricey specialty parts kit...anyway, good luck with getting the Rover back in tip-top shape.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Here's a COMPLETE list of parts you'll need to replace all of the PCV (Crankcase Ventilation) system -

1. Tube. LR003814. $10
2. Tube. LLH000110. $7
3. Tube - Breather. 8510366. $35
4. Tube - Breather. 8510367. $35
5. Engine Manifold Cover. LKR000040. $95
6. Gasket for Manifold Cover. LKJ000060. $7
7. Oil Separator. LLP000010. $45
8. New Bolts to attach Manifold Cover to back of Engine. (Don't know Part #, but I would recommend you get new ones. They are 'Star' bit and you can easily strip yours when trying to loosen them. Thread was stripped on 2 of mine from a previous unknown-moron repair, and I needed to use vice-grip pliers to get loose.
9. New hose-clamps.

Hope this helps!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow guys, many thanks!
03 Rangie, you hit the nail on the head IIRC. The PO said that he had pulled the fuse for the headlight wipers, as one stuck half way up! Will add that to my list mate.
Evan, I do have a very slight rattle on start up, but will stick the new tensioner in there first to see if that cures it or not. If not, will be picking your brains, and tool box! I have no problem returning the favor if you ever want welding/fab work done etc.
Simon, cheers for the part numbers, will be adding them to the (ever growing) list of junk I need mate:thumb:
Will make a complete list this week if time permits, and post it up for approval etc.
I have been hauling the windmill blades all year, and time has been a little short, to say the least.....
ND.jpg

Martin

·
Administrator
27,798 Posts
Really Martin? Seriously? You introduce your payload BEFORE your mutt? I hope he BITES you at the next rest stop! :evil:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New laptop Carl...thus no pictures on it yet mate!
That one had already been uploaded to the site, so was available:thumb:
Martin

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
8. New Bolts to attach manifold Cover to back of Engine. (Don't know Part #, but I would recommend you get new ones. They are 'Star' bit and you can easily strip yours when trying to loosen them. Thread was stripped on 2 of mine from a previous unknown-moron repair, and I needed to use vice-grip pliers to get loose.
Great idea, except that I'd recommend replacing the torx bolts with socket head cap screws, or something more user-friendly than the original Torx bolts.
I had to use vise grips too, and Ace hardware had good SHCS replacements that are easier to install/remove with an allen wrnech. AND won't strip as easily.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here is a quick rundown of a potential order.
NOT included is a radiator hose kit, that is part number 9370L on AB. Cost is $430!
Header tank was replaced at the dealer by the PO, so that can also wait IMHO.
Other things will be fluids and plugs, which can be had locally.
Radiator hose kit a required item, considering coolant is coming out anyways?
Any cheaper sources than AB for these parts? I looked at Utah's site, and prices were about the same if not a little higher. I did have a guy (Will Tillery) that could get a good discount at AB, but the 'hole refuses to answer emails anymore, so screw him.
Many thanks again
EDIT: getting some parts from autopartswharehouse saved me $75....so $621 total so far.
Martin

Item Number:pQS000100
Belt Primary '03-'04 Range Rover
$23.95
Sale Price!

Item Number:pQS000220
Belt Secondary A/C '03-'05 4.4 BMW Engine
$19.95

Item Number:CVHK
Crankcase Ventilation Hose Kit
$59.95

Item Number:LJQ000040G
Gasket Timing Cover Cylinders 5-8
$11.95

Item Number:LJQ000050G
Gasket Timing Cover Cylinders 1-4
$11.95

Item Number:pYX000040
O Ring Water Manifild To Large Tube
$3.90

Item Number:pYX000050
O Ring Water Manifold To Small Tube
$1.90

Item Number:LPW000030
Transmission Filter
$29.95

Item Number:VCGKA
Valve Cover Gasket Kit ( Cylinders 1-4 )
$62.95

Item Number:VCGKB
Valve Cover Gasket Kit (Cylinders 5-8)
$62.95

Item Number:LUD000010G
Seal Camshaft Variable Timing Solenoid
$17.90

Item Number:FK500
filter Kit - Includes Oil, Air, Fuel And Cabin Filters And Oil Pan Drain Plug Washer
$129.95

Item Number:LKR000040G
Intake Manifold Rear End Cover
$114.95

Item Number:LLP000010G
PCV Oil Separator
$48.95

Item Number:LKJ000060
Gasket Intake Manifold To Rear Plate
$4.95

Item Number:TYX000100
O Ring Transmission Filter
$0.95

Item Number:JHC000081
Hose Rear Water Manifold To Heater Return Hose
$9.95

Item Number:8510259G
Timing Chain Tensioner Lower
$89.95

Subtotal:$706.95
Shipping:0.00
Tax:0.00
Cart Total:$706.95

Go to Checkout

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Some of those prices look a little high, like a lot of them are from AB. I know I got the valve cover gaskets & grommets for less from APW, and I know the hoses I got were a good price too. If I were home I could pull reciepts & find where I got them, but I'm away for a couple more weeks.

British Pacific has some competitive too.
And this Land Rover Merriam Parts place is pretty good too:

http://www.landrovermerriamparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215719

When looking at parts on APW, they have some listed for the 2002 BMW X5 4.4i that are the same, since it's the same engine.
I think the rear manifold cover is on there for $67, but they don't have a picture. You could call them and ask if that's the right part.
They have the Victor Rientz cam cover gasket sets for $28 a side, and the rubber grommets for .95 each. That's the best deal since FelPro doesn't make them. And of course APW has free shipping for orders over $50.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sent BP an email asking for a price for all parts needed, waiting for a reply.
Will Tillery sent me an email asking for part numbers, so we shall see what happens there.
I have priced a lot of available stuff at APW, and that did save some coin. Some stuff they are not showing though, or dont sell as a "kit" and thus it is more expensive buying by the piece.
Will see what the other places come back with price wise. I know AB is far from "cheap", but I have found their service and shipping second to none over the years. Wish I had a discount code etc though....
I Googled the APW pzrt number, and found some pictures. Looks like maybe the front cover not the rear? Looks different than the one AB shows on their website anyways....
Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Will came back with just over $1k for everything shipped, including ALL coolant hoses. Most, if not all of that will be OEM stuff too.
BTW the Vanos seals I was referring to are just the outer seals as seen here.
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LUD000010G.cfm
That is where I see a little bit of oil around, so hopefully that cures it all.Rig runs great, and no coolant loss, so coolant hoses are preventative as per recommendations here.
Found the BMW coolant for $24.95 at APW, but hoe much is it at the dealer?
Martin

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
AB is a good source. I just had one bad experience with them with wiper blades that didn't work too well.
I do get things from them, but usually find the same Land Rover parts and aftermarket parts at much better prices.

You should be able to get the coolant at the BMW dealersip for the same price. That's what I pay at the dealership too. But at APW, no tax & free shipping if you get 2 gallons plus something else for a dime or more.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the BMW prices.
I will try to get the fluids (tranny, transfer case, etc) from APW too, to get the free shipping.
Apparently the hose kit that AB sells is not the LR one, but aftermarket according to Will. The price he gave includes an OEM hose set including all hoses.
Anyone off hand know all the fluid specs?
Alldata is listing them as obscure part names, that even some of the manufacturers dont bring up anymore!
Oil isn't big deal, but tranny, transfer case and differntials are a little harder to suss out.
Will continue my searching, but wanted to ask to see if snyone has already done the "conversion" from LR speak to plain old 2012 English!
Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
One small thing you might add if you are doing the cooling system anyways is the temperature sensor. It sits in the bottom of the radiator, and can be the source of a leak. It is relatively inexpensive.

I did my alternator, hoses, radiator, all at the same time. Got it all back together, and it was still leaking, from that sensor. It is possible to do it without taking everything out again, but it would be a whole lot easier to just do it while you have everything apart.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts