RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a pre-owned RRS with ~42,000 miles (it appears to have been owned in the city, as opposed to suburb/rural) and what I initially believed was solid evidence of good ownership, in the form of a Carfax with extensive and frequent service records. Looking at it a second time, I'm not so sure. Here are my takeaways:

1. The vehicle was brought in very frequently for maintenance inspections often just weeks apart (completed at 318, 722, 1847, 3963, 5722, 8400, 9318, 9498, 10950, 24599, 31302, 35391, 38528, 40183 and 41600 miles)
2. Front brake rotors replaced at 5722, 9318 and 14964 miles
3. Front brake pads replaced at 5722 and 14964 miles
4. Tire repairs at 16683, 19687, 24599 and 41600 miles

While I've already test-driven the vehicle (and it seemed like it was in good condition), I can't help but wonder whether these records suggest it was tracked or otherwise subjected to driving behavior that necessitated all this maintenance? Is this a red flag?

Thanks,
kcw984

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
539 Posts
For what it is worth: that seems like a really high number of service visits. You did not mention the model year, but it also looks like the owner is getting rid of the vehicle as the warranty is expiring. Brakes and rotors may have been changed out by the dealer because of squeaking and not necessarily because of abuse. The number of tire repairs seems really high to me. Does the truck come from somewhere with really bad roads (urban NE or midwest)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stemikel, thanks. Yes, it was driven in Chicago, which has awful roads (based on my personal experience).

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,761 Posts
Again, what is the model year? Another option outside of poor local roads is a high mileage job. Four road hazards in 42K miles is nothing if you spend much of your time driving. "Maintenance inspections" is a catch all phrase for an issue or issues trying to be rectified when the vehicles are new. Not all dealers report to Carfax or other VIN tracking services. Lack of maintenance on Carfax does not mean it was not maintained. Excessive reporting doe not mean major issues. It usually means a dealership that is a little overly zealous about using their Carfax dealer subscription.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,371 Posts
The previous owner could have had a recurring problem with squeaky brakes. As a reference, my 2014 has been back to the dealership 2 times since I bought it 4+ years ago. One for a software update and one for a freebie oil change. I think I'll keep this one. Good luck.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
288 Posts
I'd stay away. My most recent vehicle was at the dealer a similar amount of times and has been a complete nightmare that I am lemon-law'ing. They can't get everything working, ever. Whereas every past Rover I've had nearly never went to the dealer except annual maintenance. I personally, for sure would look at that high number of visits and have nightmares of this current problem child Rover I have.

Every once in a while, they make a bad truck and no amount of visits seems to get it fixed for good. It's like a Rover curse! Took me owning 5 to find one with the curse, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts