RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unusual air suspension and park distance, misc. electrical problems

My apologies in advance if there is something posted out here on this, I couldn't find it...

I recently got the "Air Suspension Inactive" message on my 2005 HSE. I plugged in my RSW Solutions reset tool and got blue/green flashing LEDs - no communication with the EAS module. I then noticed that my park distance control was also not working. Further inspection found my front interior map lights, rear seat lights, glove box light, and cargo lights all non-functional. Looking at the RAVE manual I see these all have a common thread in splice X18122 and come off a common pin at the BECM. Knowing that problems elsewhere in the electrical system cause gremlins on these things, I started with electrical test sticky and found that my alternator was not charging properly and the battery was marginal. I've replaced the alternator with a rebuilt one and put in a brand new 950 CCA battery (the old one was three years old so I figured why not) and I now have a healthy charging system.

But I still have the same EAS, PDC, and other problems...

I'm fixing to go tear into the truck and start testing things. I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this before and might have some helpful advice? Also, I can't seem to find in the RAVE manual where splice X18122 is physically located, and would greatly appreciate it if someone does know and could share.

Thanks in advance for any help or perspective anyone can share.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Unusual air suspension and park distance, misc. electrical problems

Update - I accessed the BECM. I have no voltage in either key off or key on on pin 19 in connector CO662. If I am reading things correctly, that means I most likely have a bad BECM, right? Would a short or fault somewhere downstream cause the BECM to open the circuit, like a circuit breaker?

I did find the splice, pretty convenient, they are located right next to the BECM. They all look good.

Thanks again to anyone who can lend some thoughts here...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

Without looking at RAVE right now as I am away from home, should that pin be live in just run, or what?
Sounds like some testing with an ohm meter may be in order, to see if anything is shorting to ground.

Martin

·
Registered
30 Posts

Do your indicators, wipers, exterior lights and central locking work?

I had a similar problem and it happened when i disconnected the battery without letting the BECM go to sleep first. It put it into 'Transport Mode' which is how they are delivered from the factory and then get taken out of transport mode by the dealer. But it wouldn't let me take it out of transport mode with LR computer so ended up replacing the BECM. Luckily I had a spare one, and once fitted and the keys programmed everything worked fine.

Maybe the battery being low casued a similar problem on yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the responses!

The wipers, exterior lights and central locking all work fine when I am having the problem.

I believe the pin is supposed to have power whenever the BECM is awake (when the red light is lit in the shift indicator on the center console). I checked the resistances on the wires coming from the splice and everything looked OK...so I rigged up a jumper to the battery and tapped into the splice. Everything worked perfect (suspension, PDC, lights, BECM "awake" light). I started the truck up and leveled it, then played with the jumper. When I would remove it, the system would quit working, jump the power and it would work. So I removed the jumper, put everything away and cleaned up, and looked over and saw the BECM was awake, by itself. Sure enough, the problem is gone, although I don't know why. My guess is the BECM is going bad but is intermittent, as I didn't touch any connectors or anything in the period of time between not working and working. It could also be something like the transport mode that it jumped into and out of by itself. I'm going to watch it and see. I suppose a tempory fix if it comes back is to put the jumper back on and hook it to a keyswitch power source.

I do have a new problem, the airbag light is now on, probably because I started the truck while I had the passenger seat wiring harness disconnected. Searching the threads it appears that can only be reset by a dealer (the closest one is 90 miles away) so it may be awhile before I get down there.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

I believe that RSW's magi machine can reset it no problem. I just got one myself off a friend and think it had SRS on the screen for reading and clearing faults. Have a look at his website (RSW solutions) and see what it says. A very handy bit of kit and easily worth the retail price IMHO.
My radio did a similar deal a week or so ago. I was resetting a few things and then it wouldn't turn on.
Removing the fuse on the radio unit itself cured it somehow, so I left well enough alone!

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts