Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I've had my vehicle about a month now and I've been dealing with this unfamiliar sound which appears to coming from the front end. I've recorded a short video clip of the sound while cruising on a hwy but I can't find a button/link/option to upload a video...
It sounds like a continuous whirl that usually happens between 30~60mph and decreases around 70mph but increases again from 75+mph. My previous vehicle, '06 RR sport SC did not make any sound like this at all with similar mileage. I believe these two shares the same powerplant and the drivetrain.
My assumption on this could be related to transmission, front diff, or wheel bearings going bad or fluids are low...?

Below is the details of the current vehicle:
'07 RR SC w/ 59k miles (all stock as far as I can tell)

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Would have to hear/see the vid could be anything though... Also just for the heck of it if you slack the belts hand spin some of the pulleys and see if they're okay. I'd specifically spin the blowers pulley... If you turn that pulley both ways and it clunks (less resistance before it clunks into geared rotation) the snout coupler is probably bad. It'll make noise depending on RPM/load/waste gate position. Post the vid if you can, that'd help a lot.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
Upload the video to a image hosting website such as Photobucket if you have an account, or a quicker option is www.tinypic.com (doesn't require an account, also free) and then post the link to the video on this thread.
* Just make sure you select "Video" on the file type.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
NO NO NO. DO NOT use third party sites to host stuff. Repeated this leads to dead links, closed accounts and/or poor images. Just use the upload tool here. It works just fine.link, photo and video buttons are right at the top of every posting box.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
98 Posts
The image upload feature on the forum allows jpg, jpeg, png, & gif formats. The video upload feature requires the user to input the "video clip URL." Wouldn't that mean he's required to use a 3rd party hosting site?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
If using web sources yes. If posting a video of you own "go advanced" and click on the paperclip and upload your video, photo, sound clip etc.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
944 Posts
Kind of sounds like a bad bearing on engine belt driven things.

Narrowing it down---

Can you recreate the sound in your driveway without moving?
Another thing I would do is to pop it into neutral and let off the gas while cruising at the sound speeds.

After that it gets a lot tougher. )))

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
arby, thanks for sharing your thoughts! and I've answered your questions below:

1. Sound is only present while at the cruising speed of at least 30 mph
2. While cruising at ~65mph, I've put the gear selector into neutral and let off the gas but the sound level did not change. :/

Kind of sounds like a bad bearing on engine belt driven things.

Narrowing it down---

Can you recreate the sound in your driveway without moving?
Another thing I would do is to pop it into neutral and let off the gas while cruising at the sound speeds.

After that it gets a lot tougher. )))

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me but hard to tell... Does it change if you quickly switch lanes or turn at speed?

If you at speed and put it to N and the noise is still present you can obviously rule out trans, if you're revving at speed and the noise stays constant/unchanged you can rule out engine/accessories.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it change if you quickly switch lanes or turn at speed?
- Not that I've noticed to tell the difference while turning.

If you're revving at speed and the noise stays constant/unchanged you can rule out engine/accessories.
- When I rev the engine while standing still, I do not hear this sound no matter how high I rev.
- While cruising in neutral and when I rev, the sound level does not fluctuate.

Then, could it be from the front diff? I'm just curious...

Thanks,

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me but hard to tell... Does it change if you quickly switch lanes or turn at speed?

If you at speed and put it to N and the noise is still present you can obviously rule out trans, if you're revving at speed and the noise stays constant/unchanged you can rule out engine/accessories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on what I hear, you have either got the backing plate touching a brake rotor as you drive, or more likely is even a wheel weight or buildup of crud on the wheel rim that is contacting the rotor or backing plate. Which side and location do you hear the noise at low speed? If you cannot tell, find a quiet place by a building, roll all your windows down and drive along the wall in two directions to see which side, and front or rear noise.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I was heading to work this morning, I had to make a few sharp u-turns (left & right) and I've noticed what appears to be either a brake pad(s) or something was touching/rubbing the front rotors as I was making a u-turn.

I will try to replicate this again after getting off from work this evening while heading back home. As a note, I've recently replaced all four tires since the previous ones had only a little tread left on them. Noise level didn't change much, if any, before and after replacing tires.

Doomsday, thanks for sharing your thoughts and I will definitely take a look at both brake rotors.

Sincerely,

Based on what I hear, you have either got the backing plate touching a brake rotor as you drive, or more likely is even a wheel weight or buildup of crud on the wheel rim that is contacting the rotor or backing plate. Which side and location do you hear the noise at low speed? If you cannot tell, find a quiet place by a building, roll all your windows down and drive along the wall in two directions to see which side, and front or rear noise.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've removed both front wheels to visually inspect for any parts that could be rubbing brake rotors and around that area but couldn't find anything. Also, I've checked around CV boot area for any tears but didn't see anything abnormal (visually). Then, I drove right next to the wall with my windows down to see if i could hear the noise on either side of the front wheels but didn't hear the sound.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.