Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover P38 HSE 4.6L from 1996
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I have a 96 P38 (my second P38) and I got the classic SRS light. I opened the kick panel on the driver side and found some other cables that were loose and something that looks like an antenna cable.

I noticed the red cable being soldered onto one purple cable and then a black cable that was attached to the body, looked like an earth plug.

In the left of the picture, I also saw a 2-pin contact that was not going anywhere. I'm wondering if these should connect or completely separate?

Should I worry about these or just let them be?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Electrical wiring Gas

Lose red and black cable:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Antenna:
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
2001 dhse
45 Posts
That's weird! I had exactly the same on mine when I first got it except the antenna was rolled up and stuffed under the centre consul. Never found out what that was for as the previous owner was deceased. The extra wires on mine were for a hands free kit. I also had a rocker switch fitted into the headliner above the front passenger door with wires that ran down the A pillar and shot off along the sill covers to somewhere. Disconnecting them didn't stop anything working correctly so God only knows what that was for, couldn't reach that switch from the drivers seat either so that might have been a clue but to what?

·
Administrator
4,939 Posts
Yup, Chris nailed it. Purple wires are live and the dangling end is the coax plug for a mobile phone antenna. It's obviously had a hands free kit with external antenna on it at some time. The other plug, with the yellow and black wires goes to the switch on the clutch pedal that cuts off the cruise control if you had a manual with a clutch pedal.

·
Registered
Range Rover P38 HSE 4.6L from 1996
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! It sounds like I should make sure the purple ones are taped and it sounds like the other ones are fine to leave as is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts