RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so as I was greasing the chassis, I noticed that a zerk fitting on one of the universal joint was missing. I thought of replacing the zerk fitting, but if the universal joint replacement job is not too hard, I'm thinking about replacing the universal joint.

So, is the job pretty easy? Does the part come off easily?

Any pointers appreciated.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I did my front prop shaft 2 nights ago. Took me 4 hours total. Most time consuming issue is the difficulty in getting a socket over the nuts that hold the yoke to the transfer case. There was a lot of getting up, putting on the parking brake, loosening nut, turning shaft to gain access to next nut, putting on parking brake, etc. Then if you don't have a u-joint clamp/tool, you have to use a vise to push out the u-joint caps. It took me awhile just because of the tediousness and I had to tend to my 40oz Miller Lite. U-Joint part is Precision 344 at your local car parts store. My old ones were bone dry (whoops). The new ones came with a zerk fitting that was too long and could potentially hit something, so I put the old shorter zerks on. Also, this job is easier if you have an air suspension because you can just put it in Off-road height and just jack up a wheel so the shaft will turn.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

Doesn't sound like too much fun doing the job, but then I don't want the propshaft coming off on the freeway, either. Looks like I'll tackle this job w/ a nice reward for myself after the job is done. I think I'll reward myself w/ a Stone IPA or two......

·
Registered
966 Posts
TheoR said:

Doesn't sound like too much fun doing the job, but then I don't want the propshaft coming off on the freeway, either. Looks like I'll tackle this job w/ a nice reward for myself after the job is done. I think I'll reward myself w/ a Stone IPA or two......

Go with the big Arrogant ******* Ale. mmmm

·
Registered
308 Posts
TheoR said:
I think I'll reward myself w/ a Stone IPA or two......

Mmmmm.... Stone Brewery is one of my favorites. I think I will reward myself tonight with one of those too. For what i dont know, just sounds good.

·
Registered
517 Posts
waveydavey said:
OK what is a Zerk fitting?
Lost in translation I think?
That's nipples to us in the UK :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts