RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got back from the dealer and they said I need to purchase a new LH cat for my 03 HSE, but they want 2200 for the part. I spoke to a local parts guy and he mentioned that a universal cat should do the job, has anyone here ever done this? Did it work?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
cackatron said:
Hey guys, I just got back from the dealer and they said I need to purchase a new LH cat for my 03 HSE, but they want 2200 for the part. I spoke to a local parts guy and he mentioned that a universal cat should do the job, has anyone here ever done this? Did it work?
I think the exhaust is still covered... Can anyone confirm this... I read something like exhaust warranty has been extended to 10 years...

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
cackatron said:
Did you notice the sticky at the top of the page? The first one that addresses the cat failures? :shhh: (maybe it's a secret?)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately the dealer said the cat was not eligible because the issue wasn't due to a bad weld : /.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Universal Cat mod has been done on many cars and Land Rover too.
At least it has been done on P38, Classics and Disco 2 so go one, save at least 1500 on those.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Just what does the mechanic say the cat failed for? Unless you run leaded or bad gas in it, or swapped plug wires around, what could have happened to the converter?
Theoreticall, they never fail. No moving parts, just chemical reaction. Unless it rusted out?
Just curious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mechanic said it was due to corrosion, but there's zero rust on the vehicle, so I may take it for a second opinon.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
cackatron said:
I may take it for a second opinon.
Good plan, did they tell you if it was the pre cat or the main cat? There are 4.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
Cats can need replacing and the interior ceramics can break up given time.
They can but they shouldn't, unless the ceramic media is fouled (can get clogged from getting too hot from a rich mix where the honeycomb melts, or from too much oxygen getting in) or broken (breaking can happen from being whacked by a rock off road etc) They should last for ever "In Theory".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts