RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to All, some time back I posted the temperatures I recorded under the bonnet (hood) and how I was going to over come them, I am now in the position to carry out this work but would like a second option before I start cutting, the items I’m using are brass eyelets as used in tent making these are 44mm external dia. and 25mm internal dia. to the back of these I’ve soldered brass mesh, I intend using five on each side, I’ve found that if you remove the blanket from under the bonnet there are slots already cut in the inner bonnet this creates a ducting between the inner and outer bonnet, I’ve just cut the blanket away around each slot at present but will come up with a finish at some stage soon, I await your comments.
Best regards sillyboy

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
That's a pretty interesting solution-First time I've seen anything like that.

Having said that, I'm not too sure if I like the looks of it-at least, looks very functional.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Buick would be jealous. :thumb:

However in your area is this really a necessity? Simply removing the rear rubber gasket/seal should give pleanty of added circulation for the two weeks a year you use A/C. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi to All I'm not happy about removing that rear seal, CO's have got no smell and picked up from all the trafic in front of you and pushed into the air intake i would want to do a test with a CO meter before i comment, dont want to fall a sleep at the wheel do we. Best regards sillyboy.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
sillyboy said:
Hi to All I'm not happy about removing that rear seal, CO's have got no smell and picked up from all the trafic in front of you and pushed into the air intake i would want to do a test with a CO meter before i comment, dont want to fall a sleep at the wheel do we. Best regards sillyboy.
????

Surely the seal has nothing to do with stopping air from the traffic being sucked into the cabin.

What did you do in years past when cars pumped out even more CO and they had even poorer cabin air filtration?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi to All Ask your self the question, WHY WAS THE SEAL PUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE as for older cars they were not as air tight as the present day models, and if you ever changed from recirciled air to outside air to stop the windows misting up you soon changed back to recircled air, but if you are happy to remove that seal go ahead, why in all future models did Land Rover introduced venting to the under bonnet if all they had to do was remove the rear bonnet seal ?????
Best Regards sillyboy

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
sillyboy said:

That's funny. What does the seal have to do with traffic in front of you? Btw...did you know you are more likely to die from CO out of your lawn mower than your car, thanks to catalytic converters.

Hey...just to be safe though... don't ever open your windows again while you're driving. :doh:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi to All Re the trafic in front of you. the fan is used to draw air through the rad, and along with it all the fumes from the trafic in front of you ,the bonnet over laps the air intake there fore any fumes in the engine bay are transported into the cabin if you remove the seal, i would point out that this is only my option and also it seems that of Land Rover, i would also say i just wanted to know what you thought of the look, general consensus seem to be forget it so for the time being that is what i intend to do. very best regards sillyboy

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
I was alway under the impression that the rubber seal was to stop water from flowing back under the bonnet during a water crossing if it went under the water.I know the petrol P38s wouldn't handle that too well but I'm sure it's possible and if the seal wasn't there the coil packs would be drenched by water.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts
I suspect the seal is there, as are the seals along each side of the bonnet, more to reduce drive-by noise levels.

Why not just remove the seals either side of the bonnet or the two shaped foam seals at the rear corners near the hinges?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I removed my rear bonnet seal and... boy.... what a difference... Still alive ( :lol: ), don´t smell nothing and the cooling gauge just move down alot quicker.. and If I open the bonnet I just don´t get that hot burning air on my face... `) `) `)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Know what you mean about engine compartment fumes coming in thru ventilation when you remove the Bonnet rear rubber gaskit. Had a 68 Firebird that had a missing gasket and the fumes got so bad I ordered a new one which stopped the fumes. I have been concerned about engine compartment heat for sometime on my 98 HSE because I am worried that constant heat of that level will cause premature failure of the ECU. I have already replaced the fuse box which I firmly believe was partially caused by constant high heat in the engine compartment. My Rover engine itself is always at a good operating temp. but it just seems the excess heat doesn't have that many good escape routes.
Johnny

·
Registered
865 Posts
Working slowly on seperation panels to protect all them nasty costly goodies.
EAS system being relocated to the rear, project on the move but slow due to extreme loads of bloody Range Rovers in my workshop......nice things really.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi To All re the photos I posted I think you all have the impression that the centre of the eyelets are white, but this is not the case, they are white in the picture because they are stuck on with double sided tape but when installed you
won't see the centre it will just look like a hole, I intend installing them tomorrow and will post new pic's later, with new heat readings. Best regards sillyboy

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Wait wait wait... you haven't installed them yet? If not...please don't. I didn't want to be mean, because it's not my car and it was too late...but that's friggin hoopty ride bling bling ghetto fab ugly man. Heat not withstanding, that just looks like shyte.

But hey...it's your ride, do what you will.

·
Registered
494 Posts
you said it not me :mrgreen:
it's not the idea that's bad; it's the fact round openings just don't look as good as slots or something that features the lines of the car in flattering manner involving straight lines. those diamond ones them dang kids put on their entry level tuners...would even be better on a 38 imho...
don't do it if you haven't already. why not drop some coin on a mesh grill or drilling some holes in the grill if aiming for personal style or eye catching is your thing?

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Kmagnuss, I recognized your screen name from Swedespeed. I tried contacting you from another post on here but i guess you never saw it. How long have you had the rover? What year and color. I love mine. Owned a 92 SWB Classic before that was all built up for offroad. I love the R but it has been having some boosting issues and crazy rattling from the front end struts. Guess I love high maintenance cars.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi to All PNPM lets have a picture of the fitted grill, it looks to big to fit into the side of the bonnet and one would not want to fit it in to the top of the bonnet to many things under there that dont like water, i'm sorry that so many of you dont like my idea but as they say beauty is in the eye of beholder. I will try to improve on the look but not to many outlets over here for bonnet grills as such. Best Regards sillyboy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts