RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to All, As the general consensus seemed to be that none of you liked my eyelet venting system, I went back to the drawing board and came up with this new grill, made from 2mm aluminium using a hand held router in a purpose made jig, once again I look forward to your comments, but not the one about removing the rear rubber seal, just about the position and looks. Best regards sillyboy

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you are gonna do it, I'd pick the position shown in the second pic, centered towards the rear. I'm not sure how I feel about the look of it, but I do like it better than the port holes.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
950 Posts
Hi,
THat looks ok. But try placing it vertically in front of side marker, like the newer RR

cheers :D

kapila

·
Registered
541 Posts
kapilamuni said:
Hi,
THat looks ok. But try placing it vertically in front of side marker, like the newer RR

cheers :D

kapila

His intent is to exhaust heat, so the higher up the better. I don't think it would be quite as useful down on the fender.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
The second position looks better.

However, quite frankly, I think it will make no real difference, if any at all, to the underbonnet temps. I suspect that airflow along the outside of the bonnet will affect airflow through the grille. I also think the grille is far too small.

How will you test it? With a temperature probe under the bonnet?

I would first try, as I said previously, removing the rubber seals along the outside edges of the bonnet.

Before you hack into your bonnet, why not buy and fit a second hand one where you can cut to your heart's delight?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi to All As i pointed out in a previous post if you remove the heat blanket along the side of the inner bonnet you will find there are slots along that section, i intend fitting two small fans ( Maplin ) controled by a thermostat set at 30c these will run on after engine switch off they draw such a small current as not to be a problem, i did heat test in a previous post and i pointed out that the tempreture rose as high as 74c on engine switch off, i will do further test when i have finished installation of these parts. thank you for your input. best regards sillyboy.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
ah! i missed that you were worried about head AFTER shut-off... just wire the temp probe into the A/C condensor fans, let them run 5 minutes, it won't hurt your battery, and it'll cool down the fluid in the rad as well. lots of cars that have electric only fans will run them for a time after shut-down in hot temps.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Dont waste your time, them Maplin fans are simple PC cooling fans and setting them to run at 30c....well they are going to run all year round non stop.

Best thing to do is insert heat shield plating, its a project Im working on at the moment.
Heat shielding will seperate the engine from the important costly bits like EAS, ABS pump and brake modulator etc...

Watch my blog but it wont be on for at least two weeks cos these Rangies are keeping me real busy right now

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi to All, I’ve just finished installing the grills, they look great and with the slots opened up in the under bonnet blanket they are working fine, I’ve done a test with a piece of paper towel hanging over the grills and was surprised at how much movement there was with the engine running, test with the hear probe show 54deg. of heat leaving via the grills when driving climbing to 64 deg when stopped with the engine running, I might try the suggestion of hooking up the air con. fans through a relay and thermostat to run when the engine is turned off.
Best regards silly boy
P.S. as to my Avatar I can only say (Oxford English Dictionary) decent to earth of a deity in human or animal form, that’s creepy.

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Imust say I'm not sure if that would be for me, but then again it does not look awuful (just not my taste). Either way, it seems to be doing what you wanted it to do, so you can't argue that!

·
Registered
950 Posts
sillyboy said:
Hi to All, I’ve just finished installing the grills, they look great and with the slots opened up in the under bonnet blanket they are working fine, I’ve done a test with a piece of paper towel hanging over the grills and was surprised at how much movement there was with the engine running, test with the hear probe show 54deg. of heat leaving via the grills when driving climbing to 64 deg when stopped with the engine running, I might try the suggestion of hooking up the air con. fans through a relay and thermostat to run when the engine is turned off.
Best regards silly boy
P.S. as to my Avatar I can only say (Oxford English Dictionary) decent to earth of a deity in human or animal form, that’s creepy.
Hi,
Can I have a pair of those?
How did u cut the openning?

Best regds

kapila

·
Registered
541 Posts
Glad you are getting the results you intended Sillyboy, as far as the heat evacuation goes. Looks like you did a nice clean job on the installation.

Maybe a pic of the truck from farther away so we can see how the vents integrate into the overall look?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi to All, The holes were cut using a hand nibbler obtainable from Machine Mart part no. 040212700 made by Clarke their part No. 1800164 Mod. No.1800164
£8.21p UK. As you can see from the picture four holes one each corner inside the market area start with a small drill and open up to ½” then nibble your way corner to corner. Best of luck, sorry I can’t supply the grills to time consuming.
Best regards sillyboy

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts