RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am taking ownership of my first Range Rover this Friday. I purchased a 2006 RR "Full Size" Supercharged. Very excited!

I was curious if anyone has ever purchased an uncut key from Ebay and had success in programming the key to function properly. The Rover I am purchasing only has one key, bummer, I was looking at getting a second key and was curious if I could get a "switchblade" key to work with the full size "06 Rover.

Does anyone have any experience with these Ebay keys and/or programming a switchblade for key for an "06 Rover. Thanks E
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hi,
Your better off going to your local LR for the new key. It will need to be sent in anyways to be programed and cut outside the Land Rover dealership.

As far as the switch blade key, well you are completely out of luck on that. The key electronics are different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
darrinturner said:
Hi,
Your better off going to your local LR for the new key. It will need to be sent in anyways to be programed and cut outside the Land Rover dealership.

As far as the switch blade key, well you are completely out of luck on that. The key electronics are different.
Thanks for the reply. Kinda what I expected to hear. I am going to look further into this and I will share with you all what I find out.
Coming from an Audi, I am going to miss my switchblade key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
might not be what you expected when you get the price, mine was over £300, then they wanted around £50 for programming :shock: :shock: :shock:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Same price in the US. $300 for a key, $100 for programming. Although, you can program the key yourself for $0. Instructions are on RR.net.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Coors said:
Hi guys, I am taking ownership of my first Range Rover this Friday. I purchased a 2006 RR "Full Size" Supercharged. Very excited!

I was curious if anyone has ever purchased an uncut key from Ebay and had success in programming the key to function properly. The Rover I am purchasing only has one key, bummer, I was looking at getting a second key and was curious if I could get a "switchblade" key to work with the full size "06 Rover.

Does anyone have any experience with these Ebay keys and/or programming a switchblade for key for an "06 Rover. Thanks E

I am in the exact same boat. Same 2006 RR SC and only one key. I did a little fact finding and decided to buy a key from eBay. It arrived on Friday and I have been able to program it (Pretty easy) using the instructions here:

http://www.roverupgrades.com/Range_Rove ... menus.html

Now I have to find a place that can cut the blank. I will post an update as soon as I get it cut.

But make sure you get the same stule key you have now...the switchblade will not work.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
Hmm... Methinks that all of you with an 06+ claiming you were able to successfully "program" a blank key purchased on eBay will be disappointed after the key is cut, meaning that the car won't start (although the remote may very well work to unlock/lock doors, etc.) The chip for the immobilizer cannot be programmed at home, or even by a dealer AFAIK. Hopefully one of you proves me wrong.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
umbertob said:
Hmm... Methinks that all of you with an 06+ claiming you were able to successfully "program" a blank key purchased on eBay will be disappointed after the key is cut, meaning that the car won't start (although the remote may very well work to unlock/lock doors, etc.) The chip for the immobilizer cannot be programmed at home, or even by a dealer AFAIK. Hopefully one of you proves me wrong.
This too is my understanding. The lock / unlock will work, but the chip needs to be programmed in Germany.
I also believe that you can only have a set ammount of coded keys in existence before the entire ignition / chip system needs to be replaced. You can also have the missing keys chip deactivated from your vehicle so it can no longer open / start your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
I have never tried it myself, but I see no reason that a well equipped locksmith wouldn't be able to clone an existing key. If you do that though you will probably notice things like the vehicle not remembering individual settings for each remote, etc (since they are the same key basically). Not sure if locksmiths typically have the correct key programming devices on hand.

Unless the range rover has some special system to prevent cloning somehow... I don't really know. But it wouldn't hurt to call some locksmiths and ask them if they can do it.
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
144 Posts
umbertob is right - you now have a handy unlock/lock remote that will turn the drivers door lock. But it will not start the vehicle. Only LR and some good techs know how to decipher the proper embedded rfid code in the remote to have it talk to the ecu to star the car.

Some cars a key can be added to the ECU by a pairing service like a bluetooth headset. However this is not the case with the RR keys - at least not the ones i have seen through 2008.

However if you do get it to work - post the process i know a lot of people that would prefer not to pay 400 for a replacement key.

JH
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,818 Posts
jhepworth said:
...you now have a handy unlock/lock remote that will turn the drivers door lock. But it will not start the vehicle.
:think: Hmmm. Makes for a great key to hide or zip tie onto the rig for when you get locked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,806 Posts
Thought I would add a disclaimer here which is obvious to me, but perhaps worth mentioning anyway.... assuming it is possible to clone the transponder, DO NOT send your key out to random people on the internet. They could easily clone your key, know your address from shipping info, and then come steal your RR at a later date after you've gotten your keys back. Only use a reputable locksmith or the LR dealer (or if so inclined, purchase a key programming tool and do it yourself if you can find one).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I spoke with a service manger at the "stealership" today, and they confirmed that I will have to send the key overseas to have it programmed. I was quoted $390 for a key and programming, by Land Rover of Greensboro.

Looks like I am biting the bullet and going through the dealer. I figure, this way I can set my worries aside and be assured that all will be well.
 

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
144 Posts
you can get the key from these guys for less $$ - more like 280 i think. Then they ship it to you. You need proof of ownership.

Amir Javadi
General Manager

Sherman Oaks Exclusive
Sales and Service Since 1977
4601 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 986-1130 Office
(818) 986-5624 Fax
[email protected]
web shermanoaksexclusive.com

and if you use the directions earlier in this post you can easily program the key to do the remote unlock, etc.

JH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
jhepworth said:
you can get the key from these guys for less $$ - more like 280 i think. Then they ship it to you. You need proof of ownership.

Amir Javadi
General Manager

Sherman Oaks Exclusive
Sales and Service Since 1977
4601 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
(818) 986-1130 Office
(818) 986-5624 Fax
[email protected]
web shermanoaksexclusive.com

and if you use the directions earlier in this post you can easily program the key to do the remote unlock, etc.

JH

Thanks!

Land Rover Mission Viejo quoted me $279 for the key plus $130 to program it (obviously since I already know how to do that I would not pay for the programming).

I was quoted $75.00 buck at a local locksmith to cut my eBay key, but I may just cut my losses and not have that key cut at all. It opens the doors alreay, so it could make a good hide-a-key and if everyone here is SURE that it will not start the car then why waste the 75 bucks? But part of me just wants to try it anyways...I will let you all know.
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
cmarshack said:
It opens the doors alreay, so it could make a good hide-a-key and if everyone here is SURE that it will not start the car then why waste the 75 bucks? But part of me just wants to try it anyways...I will let you all know.
Well, the remote alone won't open the door if the battery - either car or remote's - is dead, so for 75 bucks you might as well... But I am 99% sure the engine won't start unless the built-in EEPROM chip is programmed by Land Rover in Europe with your car's vitals (VIN, etc) first. The car's ECU checks that data when you slide the key in the ignition, before energizing the starter motor. No data match, no crank. That's the way it works on newer LRs with the switchblade key anyway, such as my 06 Sport, only reason why I am not 100% sure it won't start yours since it uses an older key design and the technology may be different. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
So, Confirmation that the eBay keys (or any key not sent to you from Land Rover) will not start the car. Additionally, when you open the the car manually with the key (not unlocking with the remote, but using the key in the door) the alarm goes off when you open the door. I did get the key to turn in the ignition, but nothing happened. Most of the time the key would simply not turn in the ignition.

Long story short, you can buy a key as a back-up to get into your car wirelessly, but that is all it will do for you.

Also, the guys on eBay are a scham. The key blank on their "refurbished" key was just glued into the remote. It fell out the first time I put it into the door.

Go to the dealer and save yourself a lot of hassle. But do not pay them to program it, that can easily be done on you own!
 

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
Joined
·
11,013 Posts
I don't believe the DIY programming procedure works on newer (07+, I guess) Range Rovers provided with the new switchblade key, though. Once the key arrives from Europe, coded and cut to match your VIN, it still needs to be "enabled" before it can start the engine. My understanding is that can be done only via IDS or alternative diagnostic interface (such as Faultmate) for these new keys. Also, any car key not present during this process will automatically be deactivated, so make sure you bring ALL you spare keys with you at the dealer if you are buying an extra set for whatever reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
646 Posts
These keys are so not worth the effort you will put into them.

#1 the ebay keys are NOT new keys. They are USED keys with the key piece removed and then a blank glued back in. The glue they use is junk!
#2 very few locksmiths can actually cut these keys and you will pay a premium for it.
#3 The immobilizer is a pain I took mine to 2 different dealers who could not program it correctly.
#4 after all said and done you save maybe $40 and end up with a sub par key. If you buy a key from the LR dealer they warranty the key.

The keys are a rip off for sure but buying it from the dealer is less painful in the long run.

The only way I would buy a "ebay" key is if I had a remote that was trashed. You could remove the immobilizer chip and put it in the ebay key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
OK, So now I am totally confused!!!!

I just recieved my $280 replacment key direct from Land Rover. It is pre-cut and has my VIN# on the bag. I thought that the reason that we have to spend the $$$ on these is that they come from Land Rover already "keyed" to our immobilizer and they should, in theory, be able to start the car.

There seems to be no differecne between this key and the one that I bought from eBay!!! I used the progammming method to get it to unlock the doors, but it will not turn in the ingnition. It will unlock the doors manually, but the alarm goes off when you open the door! I really do not want to have to spend another $60.00 bucks to have Land Rover do something to it-and more over, I want to know what it is that they do! Now I am thinking that there is no reason that whatever it is that they do at the dealer could also be done to my cheap(ish) eBay key.

I would love it if a true Green Circle Mechanic would get on here and fess up to the mystery behind the Land Rover keys. This is rediculous!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top