Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
40 Posts
I have a 2006 range rover supercharged, this is my second Trip to land rover Edmonton, I had a leak from the transmission which i went to check at the dealer whats causing that, I myself looked at the oil pan and yes i see it dripping but not sure where it is coming from, they took the vehicle to the shop to check that and while it was in the shop I asked them to also check if they can adjust the adaptive headlamps, all of a sudden the shop manager came to tell me that the leak is not from the oil pan but from a plug that has to be changed which will cost more than a 1000 bucks to replace it since they have to drop the tranny little to take it off and replace it, that was not what really pissed me off yet, she told me that the left headlamp is broken and cant be adjusted as its broken and I have to change the whole thing!!!! I drove back home and I was soo frustrated since this vehicle is just costing me more and more money, I came back and decided to take off the headlight and check to see where it is broken, found out that there is a ball joint that just came out of place so I pushed the whole frame back and it went back in place!! the stupid mechanic said its broken and they wanted to charge me 2250 just for a headlight and the replacement :( I just cant believe a dealer like that would do such thing to the customer, that's a complete rip off and I will never ever take it there again.

I also asked them to update the bluetooth since I dont have my phone book when I dial and they said 2006 is not compatible with Iphones and that they tried to update the bluetooth module and it didnt work and now they said that I have to buy a new bluetooth module for 1200? the bluetooth works fine and I never had an issue with it, I just dont see my contacts when someone calls me!

so now I went underneath the vehicle to check on that leak and I looked and the only leak I see was coming from the rear end of the Pan, I didn't see any leak coming from any plug like above or the side of the transmission, now I decided I am going to troubleshoot that myself and find out the cause of this leak since the only leak I see is from the rear end of the pan, does anybody know what plug these losers are talking about? and if there is a plug in there then I would see a leak from the side of the tranny not from the bottom?

the parts they said that had to be ordered for the transmission is (Gasket, O ring, Sleeve, Plug oil Drain) so the labour for that is 700.00! any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
228 Posts
There is a reason they are called stealers, and I see you are experiencing the norm. I would also call most stealers incompetent, as I have experienced similar levels of lies from the UK ones. It is just typical behavior these days from dealers who really do not know how to troubleshoot a problem, so they just replace part after part until the problem miraculously disappears, leaving you with a big bill and the dealer with a load of good parts which they sell on. Most persons who own Range Rovers are scared that if they start trying to solve problems themselves that they will cause more problems or make the original one worse, but you have taken the first steps to see that this is just not the case. These cars are complex in many ways, but there are tools and vast amounts of knowledge out there to fix most if not all issues without intervention from a thieving scum-lapping slimy incompetent dealer (yes I have a severe dislike for incompetence and liars)

I cannot help you with the oil leak (sorry) - I just do not know enough about these gearboxes. The good thing is that there are plenty of good people on this forum who do know about these, so hang in there and someone will be along shortly. My two pence worth is that it will be something minor on the gearbox - a seal or a gasket. I hope you get it sorted soon!

Gyro

·
Registered
153 Posts
About your leak, do keep in mind that any leaking fluid no matter how near the top of the engine, will eventually find its way more or less to the lowest point below it, making it very misleading where the leak may be originating. I learned that lesson the hard way...replaced my rear main seal only to have a leaking valve cover gasket. Is it for sure tranny fluid? Sorry about your terrible stealership experience...seems the only way to own a Range Rover without the fear of life ruining maintenance issues is DIY or warranty.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
170 Posts
Reminds me of some for sale ads I see that brags about "Dealer Maintained"... :)

That only means some newly graduate dude from Lincoln Tech that just got the ASE certification is working on your truck. Probably drives that "souped up" ricer in the parking lot and knows nothing about the truck except from what he's reading on the service manual. IIRC, I read somewhere that dealer recommended oil change intervals are 15k miles, i don't care what kind of oil your using but it should be changed every 5K at the most or at least every 6 months if driven less.

Take your truck to a reputable LR indy shop if you can, or at the very least, get a service manual and start DIY on some of the minor stuff. It's more rewarding and you know you won't take short cuts! Good luck!

Oh and the oil leak is a unique feature of LRs. It's also known as "Oil Indicator", basically telling you that you still have oil in your engine. I'd be more worried if the leaking stops! :shock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the service manager charged me 178 for the quote for the repair and said well at least YOU GOT A CAR WASH :(

anyways regardless, I owned and MKIII before I know pretty well about the vehicle besides I am an engineer but looking at the oil Pan I still cant tell where the leak is coming from so I am looking for a range rover mechanic... hoping to find one somewhere... thanks guys for the support :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
LR just charges so much for parts and the labor is usually 2x higher than an indy british car mechanic. Around here is 65/hr and LR charges 120+/hr. Plus 2000 for an alternator, 495 for sway bar links, and 400 for valve cover gaskets. I have the receipts from recent trips, I just laugh walk out and get to wrenching.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
...there is a ball joint that just came out of place so I pushed the whole frame back and it went back in place...and said well at least YOU GOT A CAR WASH :sad:
I found the same thing when I took my headlight apart to replace the ignitor. It just snapped right back into place. I couldn't figiure out how it could get dislocated in the first place without being forced.

And I took advantage of a "free car wash" from my LR dealer. I wouldn't have paid $10 for the job they did. It really was not a good wash at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ICTSOL: I live in Edmonton and have a 2006 HSE which I purchased from Landrover Edmonton. The indy shop in Edmonton is just down the road, called Daytona Automotive and is part of the Suzuki dealership. They aren't as expensive, but it's evident that repairing Range Rovers isn't their first line of business. The dealership in Calgary is supposedly worse because they charge the same but know even less than Edmonton. There are some things you can do to minimize your RR stress:

1. Indy place in Calgary called TRS Automotive http://www.trsauto.ca/ and they have a wonderful parts guy, who is originally from across the pond, named Gary. I did purchase a rear lower control arm bushing from them within the last month and while Daytone wanted $78.00 for the part and it would take a few days, TRS charged me $48 and had it in stock. I just happened to be making a run down to Sweetgrass MT to pick up some Cooper LTZ's so I stopped in to TRS on the way home and picked up the part. They will ship as well.

2. Order an IIDTool from http://gap-diagnostic.com/ in Quebec as soon as you can. It's like a OBDII tool but for your specific Range Rover. It's about $300 and will pay for itself in two error code reset visits.

3. Join the Alberta Land Rover Enthusiasts club http://alre.ca . They are wonderful for info and meet the first Wednesday of every month. Email me at [email protected] about a better deal on parts.

Hope this helps.

Greg

·
Registered
713 Posts
Many dealers are just crooks. They don't like to repair or diagnose. All they like to do is replace expensive parts until it cures the problem.

I would take it to an independent shop that specializes on Land Rovers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey Greg, thanks a lot for the info, I will definitely look for these guys, Do you know of any good mechanic that you can refer me to in Edmonton other than the stealer?

I do have the IDtool, unit is great for troubleshooting but it doesnt help much when there is a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the leak is on the left side of the transmission, the "plug" they are talking about might be the seal for a harness that goes into the transmission. Its a known issue on the 06-09 that the seal dries up and breaks. As for 1000 to repair it...thats a rip off. My silver 2008 had the same problem after they drained and refilled the trans (because of poor shifts). They ended up footing the bill but the repair took about an hour and a half.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
the service manager charged me 178 for the quote for the repair and said well at least YOU GOT A CAR WASH :(

anyways regardless, I owned and MKIII before I know pretty well about the vehicle besides I am an engineer but looking at the oil Pan I still cant tell where the leak is coming from so I am looking for a range rover mechanic... hoping to find one somewhere... thanks guys for the support :)
If you don't mind the drive to Calgary, I find TRS automotive awesome! They're honest and Vern is a really stand up guy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We had a recent discussion about this on the Alberta Land Rover Enthusiasts forum and came up with these Rover repair facilities:

Update:
Land Rover Edmonton
17820 Stony Plan Road
Edmonton, Alberta

Dayton Automotive Group Inc.
17510 - 103 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta

Chris' Auto Service
12508 - 125 Street
Edmonton, Alberta

Sovereign Automotive Inc.
4523 - 68 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta

The Sports Car Center
12116 - 121A Street
Edmonton, Alberta

TRS Automotive
3705 - 29th Street NE
Calgary, Alberta

I think from all I have heard that your best bet might be Chris' Auto Service. They have about a 1 1/2 week lead time as it's busy just before winter but I've heard a lot of good things about them and am planning to make an appointment for my 2006 RR HSE in the next week.

HTH

Greg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.