RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 RR Sport Autobiography that I specified come without a heated windshield but it did anyway. I live in NC and have not need of it really and do not care for the window "lines". I am ordering a new 2016 Autobiography and according to my dealer who has gone up the chain with LR you can not delete the heated windshield on the 2016 Autobiography model, though you can on any other, HSE, Supercharged, etc. This makes no sense to me or to him that the Autobiography edition forces you to use the heated windshield. Does anyone know if this is true and have any feedback. Thank you.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Having lived in Charlotte I used my heated windscreens many times. I think you are short selling their worth.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
That really does stink. Never understood why certain models are required to have 1 option over another. Many years ago I ordered a GMC Acadia with a Sunroof. The premium cloth was much more comfortable and nicer than the leather that was offered. But a sunroof requires leather seating. WHAT???

On the other hand I have had heated windshields with the lines on 2 vehicles. The Hummer and my Sport. I learned to look through the windshield and not at the windshield while driving. I have under heavy sunlight noticed the lines could be noticed but that was while off roading with the Hummer pointed up in the air :). Never encountered a safety issue with them.

But of course I live in eastern PA where we get more ice than snow so cleaning the windshield off is much easier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have ordered a 2016 RRS ATB and it does come with the heated windshield with no option to delete the HW. The HW is item 040AK and is part of the Derivative Pack for the Autobiography.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts
I fail to understand why this is an issue? Does it really matter if it comes with a heated screen?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
The lines are a non issue. They are a fraction of the size they were in the 80's and early 90's. Much like heads up displays, folks need to stop staring at them and look THROUGH them.

As far as function I've had them for ages on various cars and find slow dash vent defrosters painfully slow on cars I drive without heated screens.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
Plus you don't have to turn the blowers high just to clear the windshield. You can also close the vent during winters for this reason instead of smelling other fumes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
268 Posts
The lines are a non issue. They are a fraction of the size they were in the 80's and early 90's. Much like heads up displays, folks need to stop staring at them and look THROUGH them.

As far as function I've had them for ages on various cars and find slow dash vent defrosters painfully slow on cars I drive without heated screens.
Were these a feature on any of the older Range Rovers? Just curious.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Since the mid 90's they have been standard on all but the base models. I;ve had them on other makes back to the 80's.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
979 Posts
I know everyone has an opinion on these and we're all right in our own ways but to me taking this away is making any Range Rover less than. It's just one of those features that's always been there for me and as with 4WD or Low-Range, they may be things we don't always need but they all add up to making a Range Rover just what it is, the best 4x4xfar.

For me it's getting in the Range Rover and going anywhere knowing the vehicle has all it needs to get me through. And even if I may never use some of the features or be annoyed by them, that's what a Range Rover is.

Removing utility sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I've never had a vehicle with a heated windshield (Porsche, MB, BMW, Acura). I am a person that can hyper focus on something on my windshield and I notice lots of detail in general ... I know if someone touched any of my things on my desk, drawers, etc! The lines in my field of vision just bother me, obviously from the comments on the forum, other people are bothered by it too. I even notice the defroster lines on my rear window. Maybe if I lived in Vermont, instead of Los Angeles, I might have learnt to live with the visual clutter, but saw no need to have to settle for a less than perfect set up ... for me.

I don't regret deleting the heated windshield from my 2015 RR and don't feel I removed any of the RR functionality that really matters.

FYI - just did a 2016 RR ATB build on the LR site and you can still delete the heated windshield on that model, so you might want to ask LRNA/dealer why it is different for a RRS ATB.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Were these a feature on any of the older Range Rovers? Just curious.
My 2013 last Gen. Had this feature, I don't know how far back it goes. I noticed it the first week but never even gave it a second thought after that.

I tend to look " through" the Windshield, not "At" it. But I do understand how it can bug some People.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
206 Posts
Before my latest RR, I had a '96 P38 with a heated screen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts