1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys n Gals,

I want to remove the LPG Gas conversion from my 1999 4.6 HSE
Is it possible to do myself or is it a job for a licensed LPG installer? (or un-installer)

The miles I do a week does not warrant the LPG and whenever I ask about head gasket problem I am told that an LPG approved service garage must do the work.

I just don't want the gas in any event to be truthful so it is definitely coming out.

Any info on an un-install would very much appreciated.

The system is Prins VSI LPG with a Stako 95 litre tank

If I can remove the system myself, then happy days.

Thanx in advance, Dave

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Tanks are heavy and awkward but nothing much to it, unscrewing the tank joints first time was a bit daunting and making good the engine bay wiring can be a bit of a challenge depending on how it was originally done, and the break (in the heater hose) where the vapouriser joins should be replaced, avoid leaving the coupler in long term, the gen LR isn't expensive.

Your manifold will have been drilled but they are can be pretty cheap on eBay (make sure you get the right one for your year), as are most things to replace any damaged/unoriginal/altered pieces.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi

Don`t know if your very restricted in UK, but why does it have to be an LPG approved shop to deal with the head gasket.
You just partly remove the LPG valves to access the manifoil removal. The system is closed when not operating, so there is no gas leak worries.

Anyway, you have an thor engine, so most certainly there is 8 hoses drilled in to the 8 banana tubes in the upper manifoil.
If your not very upthight to get it a 100% back to original, just leave those hoses in the manifoil an block them with something.
Ofcourse if your doing an head gasket job and the manifoil has to come off anyway, you can replace it. or weld the holes or plug em in some other way.
I`m also pretty sure your connected to the coolant flow with an T fitting in the rubber hoses connected to the aluminiumtubes going thru the engine bulkhead, Just replace those rubber hoses with new ones. Rest of the parts is just plain removal - no worries, you can do it all yourselves.
Better start with an empty gastank.

I have an BRC LPG system installed in my 2000 MY 4.6 RR, and I did the head gasket job myself afterwards. No problem, I just asked the LPG installer if it was safe to disconnet the rubber tubes going into the manifoil, and he said no problem.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.
Best regards Brage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to LarryS and Brage,

Between the two I now have an idea of what to do??
I asked my local garage about head gasket problems and he told me that he could not touch it as he was not not approved or licensed for the LPG???

Maybe he didn't want the job as he quoted me around £1k lol lol.

Will let you know how it goes so cheers guys

Regards, Dave

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Yeah, I've had a garage unwilling to even look at mine (hence why I do a the work myself now) because it has LPG and they weren't licenced to work on LPG...

Except I was just asking them to sort out some tough running on both petrol and LPG..

The LPG system has a solenoid on the tank to stop the gas flow when the system is off/ not powered ( solenoid is normally closed and electrically opened when the system wants to run on LPG)

So in theory there should be no gas anywhere under the bonnet on an LPG system (you may get a quick hiss of gas if the system doesn't purge the line to the injectors from the vap at switch off, but there shouldn't be a constant leak of gas.)

This obviously means that the front end of the system can be fairly easily removed if needed to get the manifold off for head gaskets etc.

Cheers,
Marty

Sent from my S4

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
478 Posts
If you disconnect the lines after the injectors, no gas will (should) escape. If you disconnect it before that, some gas will escape, but only that in the lines between the vapouriser and the injectors.

You probably don't even need to disconnect it, although it's easier if the manifold is fully out of the way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I serviced my LPG system a few weeks ago.

Marty_nz is right, there is a solenoid on the tank which prevents gas escaping with the ignition off. When I changed my filters there was quite a bit of gas in the lines BE CAREFUL when venting off the gas, its COLD and will freeze your skin. Just gently crack open the pipes / unions and left the gas out slow (go have a cup of tea)

Alternatively there should be a manual shut off valve on the tank itself. Close this off, start the engine, run it on lpg until it uses the gas up in the lines and dies. Personally, i'd just vent it off, NO SMOKING, NAKED FLAMES, blah blah blah :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
There's no "license" to deal with LPG, just garages that know about it and those that don't - or don't want the work. If you have a working system I think you'd be mad to remove it. I'd go and find a better garage.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
There's no "license" to deal with LPG, just garages that know about it and those that don't - or don't want the work. If you have a working system I think you'd be mad to remove it. I'd go and find a better garage.
He probably did- back in 2013 when he posted it :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
You'd be better off swapping the engine loom, at least that way you could sell the system, it's basically unplumbing, not much to it really,

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
I like the occasional blast from the past thread revival... means that there are still some people out there browsing the older posts on the forum or searching for things!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Dead on! Old threads can only be revived by folks doing their home work. I always prefer to see an old thread come back up that has some discussion over a new post

1 - 14 of 14 Posts