RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Un-doing the viscous fan nut…..arghhhh!

Moto One asking about removing his alternator reminded me of the fun & games I had when I replaced the radiator on my ’03 model (BMW M62 engine) recently. Everything was perfectly straightforward and went very smoothly except for the removal of the viscous fan. Obviously I knew that the nut had a left-hand thread and I managed to get hold of a thin spanner (32mm across flats) easily & cheaply from my local car parts place. The problem was how to stop the water pump pulley from rotating while I slackened off the nut.

From reading the BMW forums it appeared that many people got away with simply ‘shocking’ the nut without even having to hold the pulley. I had no such luck. In fact I was surprised how little torque you could place on the nut before the belt slipped.

Next I tried making up a holding tool for the pulley as described by the guy in this post : http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/119957

Unfortunately this ‘single hole’ tool didn’t work for me – the viscous fan nut still refused to budge and the tool kept slipping off the pulley bolt heads.

Next, I looked up details of the official BMW tool 11 5 050 which appears to be a ‘twin hole’ tool :

so I made my own and, well, it just bent like a banana and the nut still refused to budge :

Obviously the bar needed hardening.

In the end I gave up and shelled out for the official Land Rover service tool (part no. LRT-12-215) which is a ‘triple hole’ tool.

I’ve placed an iPhone next to it in the photo below to give an idea of scale – it’s huge :

Not surprisingly the fan nut came loose with one tap when the pulley was being held rigidly by this monster!

I got a new OEM radiator (i.e. manufactured by Behr, as was the original one that I removed) for £162 and the pulley holding tool cost a hefty £57 incl. postage, so the total job cost around £220 which I didn’t think was so bad overall. (LR dealers charge over £350 just for the radiator, without fitting)

I used the tool again when I replaced the tensioner idler pulley set for the ancillary drive belt so, despite its cost, I think it’s a handy thing to have around the workshop.

I wondered if anyone else had had more success than I at removing the viscous fan nut without having to resort to the expense of buying a special tool? In fact I seem to remember someone on this forum mentioning that he managed to change his radiator without even removing the fan?

Phil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Un-doing the viscous fan nut…..arghhhh!

I changed my rad. without removing the fan, back in the happy days when they were £120 odd from the dealers! Mind you the new one sprung a leak 50 weeks after purchase, by the time it had leaked enough to bring on the coolant warning it was 53 weeks old! Land Rover wanted around £200 for another with no goodwill at all. I had it ali welded locally for £5. 8)
Ivan

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
200 Posts

Phil, does that wrench you bought stick "in" the pully? It seems that the heads of the bolts on my car don't really stick out very far. I can't imagine your wrench would be of much help.

I just changed my water pump (the pump bearing went out, and the serpentine belt shreded) I didn't have the benefit of using the serpentine belt and "knock" on the viscous fan nut. I ended up making my own tool, but as mentioned earlier the bolt heads were just not tall enough. I had to remove one of the pully bolts, find a longer one, thread a nut on to the longer bolt, intall the longer bolt and that gave me enough of the bolt head to use my homemade tool on. PITA.

I'd buy the tool if I knew it would grab the stock bolts.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Larry,

Sorry, I should have taken the photo of the tool the other way up. The business end is stepped (i.e. the handle is 5mm thick but the area around the holes is 10mm thick) so that half of the curved bit actually fits inside the pulley and the tool therefore engages on the full height of the bolt heads. Hopefully this photo makes it clearer.

Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts

Yep, I was surveying the job of removing the Alternator today. I was not to worried about the fan, but now I am... I too in the past have just shocked it off, and that's what I will try first. With the fan off along with the shroud, I hope I will be able to get the alt out and back in ( I may just remove the left head light just to have a sight line)...

Thanks again Phil for the PDF of the R & R for the Alternator.

Mark.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Great photo Phil. Thanks.

Removing the viscous fan nut is one of the more frustrating jobs I've done. Looks like that tool would be very useful.

·
Registered
236 Posts

When I changed the radiator on my car I shocked the fan off with ease, however my wife's one was stuck fast, so I changed the radiator with the fan in-situ. What a fiddle and grazed knuckles!! When her alternator failed now I had to remove the fan. I made a 2 hole tool similar to Phil's out of 40 x 6 flat bar about 500mm long. I had to undo 2 bolts about 3 turns to enter into the tool, then with a long 32mm spanner on the fan I pulled one against the other and it unscrewed. I have now modified the tool by welding 2 bosses 3mm long in line with the holes this will save undoing the bolts.

Stewart.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Here's a tool box full of Land Rover special tools. Some of which I hope I never need. Maybe I should say ALL of which I hope I never need. LOL

http://landrover.spx.com/PDF/LR_Cabinet_1_Drawers.pdf

Eight drawers, I hate to think what they cost.

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts

What ever happen to the simple days were a $2,500.00 Snap On tool set would cover every thing? Oh yea, that was 30 years ago.

Mark.

by the way I still haven't removed the fan, I'm waiting for the alternator to show.

·
Registered
82 Posts

when i replaced my rad a 2 second blip with the air chisel and the nut came wizzing off , it must of took 15 seconds in total to remove the fan , only thing is it will leave a slight mark where the chisel made contact :thumb:

·
Registered
511 Posts

I wondered if anyone else had had more success than I at removing the viscous fan nut without having to resort to the expense of buying a special tool? In fact I seem to remember someone on this forum mentioning that he managed to change his radiator without even removing the fan?

Phil
Yeah, I just use a wrench and a hammer. Out of all the cars that I have used this method (BMW's and RRC's) the first time I removed it, it did take a while as the Dealer Tech must have really torqued it on. But now that I am the only one doing it, it comes off with just a couple of short quick taps to the wrench. I did buy a repro BMW tool, as it was cheap and was really curious if it made it any easier, does not fit exactly correct but it works also. I've just always used a wrench and a hammer though.

·
Registered
228 Posts

OK - Now you have me sweating. I am about to change the radiator on mine, however I was planning on moving the fan cowling back towards the engine, leaving the fan in place and pulling the rad out. Now you guys are saying the fan has to come off? Better get the bandages and plasters out.

·
Registered
511 Posts

OK - Now you have me sweating. I am about to change the radiator on mine, however I was planning on moving the fan cowling back towards the engine, leaving the fan in place and pulling the rad out. Now you guys are saying the fan has to come off? Better get the bandages and plasters out.
Yes usually from what I have read, and my experience, the fan can be somewhat of a pain to get off the first time. SO when you put it back on, just a few light taps of the hammer to the wrench to secure, so next time it should come of very easy. Usually the fan is so easy to take of (about 5 min or less) and it give you so much more space, I personally would never ever even consider replacing belts, hoses, or the Rad without first removing the fan. It is a no brainer for me.

Remember, it is reverse threaded. Just make quick (hard shock like) hits to the wrench, and it will eventually come off. You know need to secure it, but if you can, it does make it easier and quicker. I have never had to secure my fan from turning to loosen.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

There are those of us who have successfully replaced the radiator without removing the fan, but I was not willing to try it myself. It just looked like the fit would be too close and these radiators are like tin foil. One wrong move and you could damage the new one going in.

I tried every which way to get mine off without the special tool, including attempting to make my own. Eventually my leak was getting worse and I needed it replaced so I just ordered the tool. The fan nut then came off in about 2 seconds, that thing holds the pulley like a vise. You get what you pay for, it is the perfect tool for the job. If you can afford to wait a few days in case the nut doesn't come off, then by all means try the other methods first as I did, you may save some money since you can put anti-sieze on it and not over torque when you reinstall.

·
Registered
511 Posts

yeah I was curious about the holding tool, so I bought one for a BMW off ebay. Not perfect for the LR as you really have to hold it on the bolts (as it was made for the BMW) but it does work, and it does in fact make the fan so much easier to come off. I replaced all the belts and hoses at 60K, removed the fan to do it (hammer/wrench method!!) and the clearance that you gain is amazing. Would not consider trying to do any of this with the fan on. Took me all of about an hour to do all the hoses and belts once the fan came off. The Rad looks like you could have it out in about 15 minutes. The WP looks like it may take a bit more time, was really curious as to how long it actually takes to RR the WP.

So far, this truck has been a pleasure to work on, so much room in the engine area. The Alternator and Starter look somewhat interesting to replace though.

·
Registered
256 Posts

If you remove the Primary Belt and use a Rubber Strap Wrench around the Water Pump Pulley you can remove the Fan assembly with a 32mm Wrench by Turning it Clockwise on the 32mm Wrench and Anti Clockwise on the Strap Wrench then Spin it off by Hand. No Need for the Spendy LR tool to hold the Water Pump Pulley.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Amen!
I wondered how long it would take someone to point that out!
Actually, I tried a strap wrench on mine and it was a no go. The nut was too tight and the pulley still moved. It may work for some people though, as it is likely you can get more force applied than with the hammer method.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Does anyone know a good website or store to buy the pulley holder tool from.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts