Range Rovers Forum banner

UK Top Gear tonight!

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Tim (Scotland) 
#1 ·
Anyone watch it? - The RRC was awesome, and a few Toyota myths were put to rest!

#4 ·
adam1977 said:
Leo said:
Anyone watch it? - The RRC was awesome, and a few Toyota myths were put to rest!
Yes I saw it, I never knew Range Rovers had a reputation for being unreliable (as Clarkson kept saying :think: ) just shows you how good they are, and were :clap:
They are good but the quality is definitely lacking in some areas. Like the tailgate!

It was nice to see a more interesting episode of top gear this week. It seem that recently all they do is destroy stuff!

#9 ·
Fun to watch but never forget they are always surrounded by a camera crew and backup! Never more obvious than the mods they did in La Paz....must have taken days to lift the Toyota and trick it up. But the roads and the sand dunes were awesome! To be honest I reckon the P38 is probably the most unreliable RR ever!!!!!!! At least you can fettle the classic out in the wild!

#10 ·
edorc said:
Fun to watch but never forget they are always surrounded by a camera crew and backup! Never more obvious than the mods they did in La Paz....must have taken days to lift the Toyota and trick it up. But the roads and the sand dunes were awesome! To be honest I reckon the P38 is probably the most unreliable RR ever!!!!!!! At least you can fettle the classic out in the wild!
Thats it pick on a 38 again, nowt wrong if they are properly looked after!

#11 ·
Great episode!

Curious why they chose the add the internal roll cage in the Classic for the last part of the journey. The jungles and mountain pass had their fair share of rollover opportunities. If they'd left it stock it may have done better for the last part of the trip, except that last hill to the ocean.

A lot is staged... never-the-less very enjoyable. :thumb:

#12 ·
Yes, leave the poor old P38s alone. (they are too weak to defend themselves!!) :wink:

I love to read people saying 'this is more unreliable or that is......ect'. If Defenders, Disco's, Series models, etc. are SOOOOOO reliable then WHY do they all have VERY active workshop sections on various online forums? All LR forums are full of people with ALL models asking how to fix something or announcing something else has fallen off!

Nothing wrong with that, we all know what we're getting into and a Land Rover, whether it be a 1950's SI or a late 90's P38 with all the toys, is just as much of a hobby than just transport.

#14 ·
is there an internet link to view this on-line? we don't get top gear here in Shanghai

#15 ·
is there an internet link to view this on-line? we don't get top gear here in Shanghai
Just try putting into a search engine such as google.

Great episode BTW, we are obviously biased but great entertainment all the same.

#17 ·
Thanks, that was awesome.
We should have a poll. If you were doing the same trip, what year classic would you take? I think I would take my 94, wouldn't do the big wheels though, maybe swap the BW for a locking centre diff and 215/85/r16 tires, but that's it.

#19 ·
Good point, I thought of that but there are so few tdi classics around. Didn't the 3 guys give up before the vehicles?

#20 ·
Ok the guy in Florida is going to give you guys a lesson on Altitude and engines. The only thing with curves in Floida is our women. :lol:

In carbureted cars the mixture dosn't change automatically with the changing oxygen levelings. As the oxygen levels deplete the engine runs richer and richer losing power. The only way to get around this is to get out and adjust you mixture on the carb or install a mixture control knob like you fnd in older airplanes. With fuel injection the O2 sensors and mass air flow sensor tell the system how much are is avalible and in return it either leans or inrichens the mixture going into the motor. You do loose horse power no matter what but with fuel injection you loose alot less.

#21 ·
Leo, you are correct to say that an efi engine will run better than a non-adjusted carb engine at altitude.

However a naturally-aspirated engine will lose about 3% of its power for every 1000feet climbed.
That means that a cat-equipped 3.9 RR which has 172bhp and 225lb ft of torque at sea level will have 89bhp and 117lb ft of torque at 16000feet.

As a turbocharger is an exhaust-driven air compressor it will keep compressing air regardless of how thick or thin it is. Whilst the turbo was invented in 1905 it became very popular with early aircraft builders and pilots.
If the Tdi engine requires 50litres of air per second at sea level then it will get 50 litres of air, if it climbs so high that the air is half as dense then it will get 100litres of air per second.
Hence my Tdi-engined Rover will still have the 111bhp and 200lb ft* of torque it had at sea level even at 16000 feet.

Bye bye wheezing old v8.... :dance:

*Its not as much torque as a v8 but its lower down the rev range so its not as slow as it may sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.