RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Just moved back to the UK from California and we have a Disco 2 to tide us over. We love it and it does a great job of pulling the boat but would like to upgrade to a MK111 at some point. Looking for any advice on what year to aim for, we had nothing but problems with our P38 in the USA and it ended up costing much more than $1 per mile in the time we had it so any advice of years to avoid would be appreciated. I have heard people say they didn't improve until 2007 but would like to hear everyones opinion on this? I am also very confused by the roat tax. http://www.parkers.co.uk/News/Road-tax/ ... x-changes/ Parkers have a calculator and it says that:

"Please note: All cars registered between March 2001 and March 2006 that produce more than 225g/km CO2, will temporarily join Band K in 2009 and 2010."

Does this mean that if I bought a 2005 this year, the road tax will spike next year to £435 GBP????? I am very confused and expect this will have a massive impact prices after April 2011.

Regards

Andrew

J
186-200
£215

K
201-225
£235

L
226-255
£425

M
Over 255
£435

·
Registered
38 Posts
My understanding is that it is the original year of registration that counts. My 2007 is £435. Not sure about the 'temporary' stuff but once a 2005 always a 2005. My old P38 was just over £100 to tax last year since it was 1997 despite being a 4.6V8
Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any L322 Range Rovers registered in the UK before the end of March 2006 sit in the top tax bracket from that time. Currently about 245 pounds.
Any L322 Range Rovers registered in the UK after March 2006 sit in the new top tax bracket. Currently about 435 pounds.

The increase from the end of March 2006 for high emission vehicles was not done retrospectice back to when they started to base road tax on emissions (2001).
So the highest road tax on a March 2006 or earlier car is about 245 pounds as opposed to 435 for a later one.

The government did want to backdate it, but people got a little upset that they bought a car understanding what it was going to cost to tax it, only to have it shoot up... so they had a rethink.

Conveniently the March 2006 date is not a long way out of when the TDV8 became available. So because of this most Td6 Range Rovers have cheaper road tax than TDV8 ones.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Magic said:
My old P38 was just over £100 to tax last year since it was 1997 despite being a 4.6
I think that for the £112 you paid you only got 6 months - not a years tax.

1 years tax on any vehicle registered brefore March 1st 2001 and over 1549 cc is £205

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
goodwinaj said:
but would like to upgrade to a MK111 at some point.

we had nothing but problems with our P38 in the USA and it ended up costing much more than $1 per mile in the time we had it
Please don't take this the wrong way but..

Will you actually do a bit of work on this one yourself or just take it to the dealer, get raped on the "maintenance" and then moan about it?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Your considering the purchase of an expensive and complicated vehicle which is outwith its manufacturers warranty.
There are just as many mechanics over here who will see your Range Rover and diagnose that very slight rumble you hear once in awhile as a broken flux capacitor requiring replacement of that, all the shocks, springs, wheelbearings, bushings, and diffs at massive cost to yourself as there are in LA.
I forsee a very miserable ownership experience for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts