RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Got my new Faultmate yesterday, real easy to set up and good backup too.

Had a look at my BECM settings and found two things that seem odd....

1, UK POLICE = police and not normal.....What's that all about?????

2, BECM STATUS = unlocked......is this a good thing? I thought they were all locked at the factory. I have no service history with the car but Faultmate can find no stored faults :dance: .

SID.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
BECM = unlocked?

Mine is locked - what does it mean, exactly?

Can it be unlocked, if so why?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Unlocked is good, leave it like that. You can probably see the EKA code.
Locked means certain settings cannot be changed, this was the factory default, although perhaps not applied 100%.
Replacement BECMs come as unlocked. To unlock a locked BECM requires the circa £1000 software module from Blackbox.
Police setting, ignore it (or change at your own risk). Was your car a police vehicle at one time?

If you want to research these further, spend an evening reading posts in the relevant forum on the Blackbox site, although you MIGHT find that Colin (BBS Spy) has posted some words of wisdom deep inside one of his posts on the Diagnostic forum here, so that's two evenings spoken for!!

HTH

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chas said:
Unlocked is good, leave it like that. You can probably see the EKA code.
Locked means certain settings cannot be changed, this was the factory default, although perhaps not applied 100%.
Replacement BECMs come as unlocked. To unlock a locked BECM requires the circa £1000 software module from Blackbox.
Police setting, ignore it (or change at your own risk). Was your car a police vehicle at one time?

If you want to research these further, spend an evening reading posts in the relevant forum on the Blackbox site, although you MIGHT find that Colin (BBS Spy) has posted some words of wisdom deep inside one of his posts on the Diagnostic forum here, so that's two evenings spoken for!!

HTH
Yep, I can see the EKA code but what's it for??

Also my car was first registerd oct 1995 but the BECM says 'date of build 21-04-1997, so I guess it's not the original

Don't think it was a Police car as it is red, unless it was a fire truck for them :lol:

SID.

·
Registered
649 Posts
EKA is Emergency Key Access. It's VERY important. Read the Owners Handbook and practice using it BEFORE you need it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The police check box, I believe, is on all BECMs regardless. It sounds like you have had a new one at some time, keep it unlocked as as mentioned if you should ever need to get it unlocked, it a pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts