RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
I did my own :thumb:
Bought a cheap grill (unadulterated) from ebay for about £25, drilled holes and colour coded it to match the paintwork on the Rangie. Also, the headlight finishers came with it, so I colour coded them as well.
May not be to everyones taste, but I like it.
I'm at work now, but I'll post a pic or two later.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u did that to the stock grill? i swear i was thinking about doing the same thing and painting it black for a "sport" look. they have one like that too but not home made looking looks really nice.....if u search "p38 grill" on ebay u'll see all 4 or 5 styles they have

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Only drilled the flat faces using an 8mm drill. Worst part was marking the grill out so it looked okay.
Once that was done the actual drilling was straightforward.
Sprayed it first with plastic undercoat, several coats with a bit of a rub down in between. Then several coats of top coat finished of with clear coat lacquer.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Here you go:

Sorry about the quality, bit rushed :thumb:

And another:

·
Registered
89 Posts
got one of those on mine looks as good as in the picture i,ve colour coded the 2 side pieces by the headlight it is just a modified sport grill chopped at the back and 2 pieces of plastic over the curved bit where the headlights are easy enough to do yourself if you can get hold of a cheap grill i,ll take mine off and add some photos screws into original holes on slam panel and clips under at the bottom hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
sorry each to their own, doesn't float my boat at all. Same way I hate the P38/L322 light conversions too.
it has to be said I admire the patience of drilling all those holes though! :D

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess "grilles" are ok but over here in america its hard to find one they only sell "grills" well at least more than "grilles" lol maybe EVERYONE over here spells it wrong.....go to AMERICAN ebay and type "p38 grille" u'll see what i mean

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for that link Ron. I didn't know that some P38s were made with coloured grilles - even the colour coded cars I didn't think extended to painted grilles. But from your link, that can't be right. Can anyone clarify?

The link hasn't got any woodcote green ones - but if I get another shade of green (or any colour I suppose) I should be able to get it painted ok by the bodyshop. The rest of my car is colour coded.

Some grille colours look ok painted but some don't I reckon - there is a black one I've seen that looks good - don't know about my colour though - anyone got a photo of a green colour (ideally woodcote) grille painted?

Regards

Andy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks sweet!!! i plan on smoking the edges of my headlights around the circle parts and smoke my corners to go with it......BTW my truck is bonatti grey i think it will look nice.........i also wish i had a 2.5L lucky!!! what kinda mileage do u get out of that? im pushing the 4.6 with about 13.6 MPG :doh:

·
Registered
89 Posts
on a good run between 27 and 31 depending on driving style couldnt say what it does round town as i use my clio for the shorter journeys.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sorry but I bought one of these modified Sport Grills offered it up and thought this is Absolute Crap, It does not follow the line of the Bonnett or Bumper, doesn't match with the Headlamp Wiper Trims or Blend in with the Headlamp shape. I ended up throwing it in the back of the Garage along with the rest of the Junk and eventually sold it for a Tenner.
It may look O.K. from a distance but close up it is rubbish, that is my own personal opinion but Each to there Own.

Cheers

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts
andyaa said:
Thanks for that link Ron. I didn't know that some P38s were made with coloured grilles - even the colour coded cars I didn't think extended to painted grilles. But from your link, that can't be right. Can anyone clarify?

The link hasn't got any woodcote green ones - but if I get another shade of green (or any colour I suppose) I should be able to get it painted ok by the bodyshop. The rest of my car is colour coded.

Some grille colours look ok painted but some don't I reckon - there is a black one I've seen that looks good - don't know about my colour though - anyone got a photo of a green colour (ideally woodcote) grille painted?

Regards

Andy
I think the colour refers to the bottom edge of the grille.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,421 Posts
DoubleRon2Deuces said:
i guess "grilles" are ok but over here in america its hard to find one they only sell "grills" well at least more than "grilles" lol maybe EVERYONE over here spells it wrong.....go to AMERICAN ebay and type "p38 grille" u'll see what i mean
Ahh, but look at how many of the above replies were from Britain!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL........thanks col for the input i was wondering how the fit was and i noticed the space "gap" in the middle at the top.........

im glad alot more britts are responding then americans considering its a british truck, i wouldnt want to be misled in information from an american who didnt make the truck and only mispells the parts "grill" lol

who would want chinese food cooked my jamaicans??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts