RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Sears to buy a new lift/jackstands that they had on sale and the "service engine" light started blinking. I has been on for a while but got concerned when it started blinking. Then it overheated. I know that I was not low on radiator fluid as I keep a pretty good eye on that one. Steam was coming out of the right side of the engine but I could not tell from where. Appears that there was radiator fluid everywhere. Once the steam stopped, I topped off the radiator fluid and off to the autoparts store. They reset the codes but the "service engine" light came back on part way home. In the ten minutes it took to drive home, the light started flashing and there was more steam coming out of the engine compartment once parked.

They said that I had the following errors:

P0300 Randum Multiple cylinder misfire
P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire
P0440 EVAP Emmision control system malfunction
P0304 (times two) Cylinder 4 misfire
and
P1319 (times two) manufacturer controol ignition systme or misfire

Could someone please help with the root of the problem? How are these tied to the overheating or are they even tied to the overheating? Possible solutions?

Thank you! :crybaby2:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds to me like the overheating was a subsequent effect of a leak in your cooling system. Don't drive that thing another foot until you figure out where the leak is, overheating the motor can severely damage not only the motor but all kinds of related parts.

Do you have white puffy smoke coming out of the exhaust? How was the car running on your way to the parts store - loss of power, stuttering idle?

You very well may have blown a head gasket. Check your oil for a foamy condition. If you didn't blow a gasket, then check all of your radiator lines for holes. YOu may have to start the car and let it warm up a little bit to find the hole if it is small, but keep a very close eye on the temp gauge and do not run the car very long at all. Hopefully if it is just a hose leak or something simple the overheating did not damage anything major.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris X said:
Sounds to me like the overheating was a subsequent effect of a leak in your cooling system. Don't drive that thing another foot until you figure out where the leak is, overheating the motor can severely damage not only the motor but all kinds of related parts.

Do you have white puffy smoke coming out of the exhaust? How was the car running on your way to the parts store - loss of power, stuttering idle?

You very well may have blown a head gasket. Check your oil for a foamy condition. If you didn't blow a gasket, then check all of your radiator lines for holes. YOu may have to start the car and let it warm up a little bit to find the hole if it is small, but keep a very close eye on the temp gauge and do not run the car very long at all. Hopefully if it is just a hose leak or something simple the overheating did not damage anything major.
Oil not foamy. Found a leak in one of the houses (I think it is the hose coming from or going to the heater) so I am running to the store to replace that now. What about the codes? Is there an easy fix there?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,307 Posts
Assuming you own a 1995 - 2002 Range Rover:
bmwmotogreg said:
They said that I had the following errors:

P0300 Randum Multiple cylinder misfire
Emission relevant misfire multiple cylinders
Drive cycle C:Signal out of range - above maximum.

P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire
Catalyst damaging misfire cyl 6
-- or --
Emission relevant misfire cyl 6

P0440 EVAP Emmision control system malfunction
Evaporative control system fault

P0304 (times two) Cylinder 4 misfire
Catalyst damaging misfire cyl 4
-- or --
Emission relevant misfire cyl 4

P1319 (times two) manufacturer controol ignition systme or misfire
Misfire with Low/Empty Fuel

Could someone please help with the root of the problem? How are these tied to the overheating or are they even tied to the overheating? Possible solutions?
Misfires are detected by the knock sensors, 1 per cylinder bank if I recall correctly.
With a coolant leak on the even side, moisture COULD have fouled the wiring to the sensor, triggering a false alarm.
That covers P0300, P0304, P0306, & possibly P1319.
That leaves P0440, which might also be caused by water on the knock sensor wiring.

Fix that leak.
The hoses to the heater go right above the knock sensor.
Reset the codes.
Start her up and watch ...

good luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed the leak but much to my chagrin, still overheating and it is 50 degrees or so outside. Overheated in 5 minutes of idle. No leaks remain. I am now thinking about a water pump issue, does that sound probable or plausable? (Side question, will the overheating cause a "'check engine light" to trip and stay on or is it probably related to teh misfires?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Are you sure you don't have an air lock in system since refilling? These things can be a PIA to fill without getting one. Did you blow back through the small pipe that goes from rad to expansion bottle to clear it of liquid before filling? To get mine filled I put the driver's (UK) front wheel up on a ramp a little.

The CEL will be due to the codes for misfires.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AMcK said:
Are you sure you don't have an air lock in system since refilling? These things can be a PIA to fill without getting one. Did you blow back through the small pipe that goes from rad to expansion bottle to clear it of liquid before filling? To get mine filled I put the driver's (UK) front wheel up on a ramp a little.

The CEL will be due to the codes for misfires.
I did not know to check for an air lock after filling. I do remember doing so after changing the thermastat a few weeks ago.... but did not think to do it this time as I did not intentionally drain the system. Will try to blow through the tube and see if that makes a difference. Had no idea that the air lock could be so serious that it would not "self correct" with a bit of pressure.

G

·
0 Posts
Did you do the thermostat before or after the overheat issue? It may be that if you did not bleed the system correctly when you did the t'stat you may have inadvertently caused the overheat condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts