RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Uh oh, noticed the underside of the car was quite oily, then found this...

I acquired this P38 (4.6) and have been trying to get in road worthy for a couple weeks time. I've noticed the underside was always quite oily but never found an oil spot on the drive or a source and was told not to worry too much. Today though, while replacing the front air springs, I had a proper look and found this:
20140607_150852.jpg 20140607_150949.jpg

The car has been driven, possibly with this damage, and I'm worried about the consequences, although the car has not displayed any untoward symptoms. Does anybody have any suggestions of what to do?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
Re: Uh oh, noticed the underside of the car was quite oily, then found this...

What damage? Other than a leaky sump and lack of cleaning what is it that looks out of place? The first step I always take in leak detection is to clean. Fluids will wander all over the underside of a car often making it impossible to find the actual source of a leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

So the hole on the photo to the right is directly above where the oil spot on the drive was. I think it's meant to be there (right?) as I've seen pics of others with a hole in the same place but it doesn't look like a cleanly machined hole...

By damage I meant the fact that there seems to be a leak. I'll clean the underside up and have another go at narrowing it down then I think.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Yeah but just looking is a LOT less hassle Carl!
Get under there, degrease, pop the hood, degrease, pressure wash, repeat, repeat repeat. Who wants to do that?
All just to save money in buying parts that arent needed?
Makes no sense to me....:lol:

Martin

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Does anybody have any suggestions of what to do?
Yes, ignore it. Any Range Rover V8 with more than about 5,000 miles on the clock will be weeping slightly from the front crank oil seal. Airflow under the car spreads it around and it will drip off any low point such as the bellhousing, which is what your picture appears to show. If it gets to the point where it is dropping oil on the road and using more than a litre every 1,000 miles or so, then consider doing something about it. At the moment just tell yourself it's the patented anti corrosion system working as it should.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes, ignore it. Any Range Rover V8 with more than about 5,000 miles on the clock will be weeping slightly from the front crank oil seal. Airflow under the car spreads it around and it will drip off any low point such as the bellhousing, which is what your picture appears to show. If it gets to the point where it is dropping oil on the road and using more than a litre every 1,000 miles or so, then consider doing something about it. At the moment just tell yourself it's the patented anti corrosion system working as it should.
Cheers, Gilbertd. I think I'll do just that for now.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts

Personally I would much rather know and ignore than to simply ignore. Let's hope it's not a cooling line or bypass valve ORing. They can be great fun when you are in the middle of no where and they fail spraying your oil all over the road/trail/hot exhaust.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

This is very strange, and proves I must be doing something wrong. NON of the motor's I fettle with have a single oil leak afterwards. What am I doing wrong folks?
It's an engine, thus the BS about them all leaking is total crap. If a FMS is leaking, fix it. If an oil cooler line is leaking, fix it. Just like on any other engine in the world, or so I thought......

Martin

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

None of the engines I have rebuilt have leaked initially either, but after a few miles there will always be a bit of oil on the underside no matter what engine it is and whether it has been rebuilt or not. Seals start to harden, gaskets start to soften so any used car will have a light covering of oil on the underside. I only start to investigate if it leave drips on the floor. My daily driver hit 282,000 miles yesterday and as I'm 1,000 miles away from home it'll be up to 283k by the time I'm home again. That doesn't drop oil but it used around half a litre in 1000 miles. In contrast, the one I've recently bought uses a litre of oil every 80 miles and leaves a huge puddle underneath it. From the amount of blue smoke from the tailpipes, it's burning quite a bit of it but it's also leaking from the oil cooler hoses, front crank seal and probably a few other places I haven't investigated yet.

·
Registered
690 Posts

If it appears to be burning that much oil and it's leaking from **** near everywhere, could it be that the breathers are bunged up?

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Dunno, I'll find out when I get time to pull the engine apart. Not sure when that will be though, I'm in France at the moment and won't be back until Friday, then I've got 2 weeks at home, then at Silverstone and then up in your neck of the woods until the beginning of August.

I thought maybe rings as one cylinder is down on compression but there's no pressure coming out of the oil filler cap when that is opened with the engine running. Personally I think it is a combination of lots of smaller things. The previous owner spent his money on window tint film, a Supercharger grille and badges and blue LED interior lights rather than anything sensible so I'm inclined to think it's down to pure neglect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts