RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tried this tires Bf goodrich all terrain 285/65/18.

or anyone else have any suggestions for good offroad tyres in 18"

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
285/65/18s may be a little too big to fit w/o rubbing, unless you give your suspensions a lift. If you mean 265/65/18 (BFG T/A KO is available in that size), those should fit with minimal rubbing except under full compression or steering lock. I have no experience with BF Goodrich tires - I hear they are very good although not as good as they used to be... - but am very happy with Cooper Zeon LTZs (sized 285/60/18) on my RRS, they are plenty good on just about any off road terrain - except mud and ice - and very comfortable, competent and quiet on road. They are my everyday tires and I am on my second set, the first one lasted me about 50,000 miles. There was still plenty of tread left but they didn't have the bite of new ones off-road anymore. Not sure if Coopers are available in Norway, though. Also consider the Nitto Terra Grappler (285/60/18), which you can have in regular or E-load rating. These are all all-terrains, nothing too radical and aggressive, but that makes them suitable for use on the road as well. Keep us posted on your pick!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BF all terrain is in both 265/65/18 and 285/65/18. Wonder how much adjustment has to be done to get the 285/65/18 fitted. Is adjusting the air suspension software enough or do I need mechanical adjustments?

Haven't found any dealer in Norway selling the Cooper tires you specified.

·
Registered
99 Posts
umbertob said:
265/65/18 (BFG T/A KO is available in that size), those should fit with minimal rubbing except under full compression or steering lock
I've got 265/65R18 BFG T/A KO without any rubbing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think 285/65 will also fit? or is it close to rubbing with 265/65 ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
There's not a lot of room with the 265/65R18s, so given the 285/65R18s are almost 26 mm greater diameter and 20 mm wider, there'd be some rubbing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I run 275/65/18 Goodyear DuraTrac's and like them a lot.

My MkIII is lifted 1.5 inches or so via software.

Mine rub on the FRONT of the Front wheel well when turned FULLY and only in reverse. Weird I know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any pictures of the 275/65/18" ?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
When I finish my software, we will be able to adjust the suspension programatically.

JDHolder,
Any need to modify the plastic wheel arches?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have not modified the plastic at all. The rubbing ONLY occurs when the steering is cranked ALL THE WAY left or right, and then only when you are traveling in reverse - with my setup.

I'm glad to see you are working on this software! I have one of your reset tools - VERY HANDY!! Keep up the good work!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haven't found any dealer in norway selling cooper zeon LTZ, but anyone know what dimensions they have in 18". Do they have 275/65/18, 285/65/18 and for you using the cooper tires what size are you running and any pictures would be great `8)

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
You could also look at the General AT2, no idea what big sizes will fit but the tyre is quiet, grippy and wears well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use general grabber AT2s which have been a great success. Looked at the BFs but my dealer thought the Grabbers a better choice if you do much on-road also. My mix in the RR is about 95 percent on road so that's what I went for.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
jdholder said:
VFC rear bumper. :clap: VFC RR!
Please... more info (and more pics!). Who built it, etc. Do you have any underbody protection? Are the wheels from a RRS? Detais on the second battery/isolator split charge, details on the suspension lift (+15mm at all settings or just OR?), details...
How bout a write up on your car (+some action pics!): ;)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the kind words -

The rear bumper was built by my fabricator here in southern California - http://www.castlefab.net/ - he's a great guy and does amazing work!

I'll try and get more pics asap.

The suspension lift is +1.5 inches on all settings. Admitedly, this causes the airbags to be at the top of their range in "extended mode", but I don't really use extended mode much.

I don't have any skidplates, but that is next on the list to have my fabricator build. I can't bring myself to purchase the Mantec Sump Guard for almost $1400. My fabricator can build me one probably for half that price.

The dual battery setup is a simple one - just a constant duty solenoid that is tripped when the vehicle is turned on. I could install a "smart" system, but I have been off roading for 20 years with systems just like this one and never had a problem. I have the rear 12v socket setup to ONLY pull off this second battery. I will probably add more circuits, but it's really a "refrigerator battery" as that is the only thing I plug into that socket.

I'll create an intro thread.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Front bumper and sump guard (skid plates) are on my list. If anyone knows where a money tree is growing, let me know! :)

I just bought a Sankey Trailer, so new money will be going into it for now!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts