RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

So I've changed my tyres to 285/50/R20's, look and grip fantastic compared to my previous tyres.

Only snag is, they rub! They rub only slightly on the wheel well which i'm sure i can get a heat gun too and push back away from the tyre.
However they also rub on full lock on a metal bracket.

See photos in link below. I put a strip of masking tape on the area to see how bad they rub.
I made a 30min journey home and the tape was intact however i then went full lock and felt it snag slightly and it took the tape off.
I only need about 3 mm more clearance!

Anyone had to modify these brackets before? By the way i have 20mm spacers on with studs.
Link to photos here..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fbu1691jxh4sqkp/AACblNykl-ShMj317AsZE5pPa?dl=0

Next questions.
1. Will the bigger tyres put strain on my gear box.
2. Do you recommend servicing the gear box, car is 10 years old and has done 60k miles.
3. How low are the bump stops, the truck is just about driveable in access mode. Don't want to be stranded if I drop to bump stops.
4. Do you get a warning if you drop to bump stops.
5. Where do you put your spare wheel! These tyres on these wheels won't fit under the boot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Will

Ranger Rover Sport 2008
Godalming, Surrey, UK

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
With that size tire you have to cut that metal horn back. You can cut the face of it and re weld the front back on a little further back. As for bump stops they are in the struts. At access height the suspension is not "on" the bump stops. If you were to have a suspension failure you will not be able to drive the car and will be stuck. Lucky 8 sells a SYA kit to basically raise the bump stop 2 inches by placing the spacers on top of the struts. With the kit you can get lift rods as well(I went 2.5 inch johnson rods on mine.) Also not commonly when dropped to the stock bump stops with a lift you are beyond the range of the sensor and sometimes we have had to jack up the car to allow us to clear the suspension fault and bring it back alive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With that size tire you have to cut that metal horn back. You can cut the face of it and re weld the front back on a little further back. As for bump stops they are in the struts. At access height the suspension is not "on" the bump stops. If you were to have a suspension failure you will not be able to drive the car and will be stuck. Lucky 8 sells a SYA kit to basically raise the bump stop 2 inches by placing the spacers on top of the struts. With the kit you can get lift rods as well(I went 2.5 inch johnson rods on mine.) Also not commonly when dropped to the stock bump stops with a lift you are beyond the range of the sensor and sometimes we have had to jack up the car to allow us to clear the suspension fault and bring it back alive.
Thanks for the reply Special Ed, could i just get the spacers which go on the bump stops as I don't want to raise the car any higher than it is. Also not sure i quite grasped the last bit..

'Also not commonly when dropped to the stock bump stops with a lift you are beyond the range of the sensor and sometimes we have had to jack up the car to allow us to clear the suspension fault and bring it back alive.'

Could I buy a GAPIID tool to raise the suspension back up from bump stops after a fault, to keep handy in case of an emergency?
Would you get a warning before dropping to bump stops? Don't fancy travelling at 70mph and dropping to bump stops!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
The spacers you place on the top of the struts themselves do not lift the suspension. They lower the strut with the bump stop in it. The bump stop is inside the airbag on the strut, technically you could add too it by removing the airbag off the strut. lifting is done either with a Gap tool... or with a height sensor rod replacement(there are a lot of them on the market today but i bought locally and went with Johnson rods since he is here in town. Support the little guy)

As for the Gap tool it will clear faults from the system. The scenario i was describing i have seen a few times for different reasons that you can not clear the faults and bring the car back up. We had a harness get damaged from the tire grabbing it at full turn. After fixing the damage to the harness the suspension fault would not clear because the height sensor was beyond its limits upwards. We had to jack the car up a little and the faults would clear and up she went. Its an odd thing but something to be aware of.

As for the suspension dropping down it can really happen anytime. Most of the time there is some warning involved saying something is failing or not right in the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts