RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the recommended is 1.9bar on the front and 2.6bar on the rear but to be honest my front tyres don’t look quite rite, I have tried 2 bar all round and noticed the car is not as nimble, when the design these vehicle no doubt ably they spend time with tyre pressure to see what the best is, just wondering what you guys are running and have found works well.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
28/38

Although the fronts do look low, so much the people have even commented on it, the fronts always wear better than the rears for me.

The best way to check your optimum tire pressure, since it's not so much dependent on the size as it is the specific brand/type of tire, is to do the chalk test.

·
Registered
543 Posts
JD.

Preferred tyre pressures for on-road driving with your 16" rims is 32psi in the old scale front & rear on my '88 Hi-line Classic ! !

This tyre size was standard fitment with the LSE models before the new 'Pegasus' P38 version arrived and my beast has airbags inside the rear coils pumped to 10psi, which balances the original tyre air pressure compared to land Rover OEM specifications.

Obviously your actual tyre pressures in the back streets of S.A. are completely different considering the off highway conditions ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
JeremyD said:
kmagnuss said:
What does this mean 3.8bar at the rear? and what is the chalk test?
28PSI front and 38PSI rear.

The chalk test involves cover the top of the tyre in chalk and rolling forward one revolution to see what kind of footprint shows up on the tarmac.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I just converted to bar and it reads like this

2.6bar rear and 1.9bar front

so the front are about 0.3 bar harder

·
Registered
543 Posts
JD.

Check again ! The fronts should be softer than the rear tyre air pressures as per the OEM specification, except the TD model ?

I can give you a better answer if you have the name & brand of tyre, otherwise check www.bfgoodrichtires.com for finer detail.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
I've run the recommended 28psi front, 38psi rear on my past three RRs and Discovery. All have given excellent tyre wear. I run the same on my current 255/65R18 tyres.

Oddly enough, even though Australia went metric decades ago, most of us still use PSI. Some use the official kPa. No one uses Bar - even though some tyre pressure guages are sold here with only that scaling.

Cars are placarded from the manufacturer in kPa and psi.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I 4th or is it 5th the motion 28/38

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
I tried the recommended setup many times and couldn't imagine running that way. The front is almost like a deflated tire.
A local indy recommend me 2,1 bars front and 2,3 rear.
My classic was 2,5 all around and it was perfect.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
5,424 Posts
996TURBO said:
I tried the recommended setup many times and couldn't imagine running that way. The front is almost like a deflated tire.
A local indy recommend me 2,1 bars front and 2,3 rear.
My classic was 2,5 all around and it was perfect.
Well, I've done literally thousands of km in a single trip in high temperatures with no problems at the recommended pressures. I have lowered the pressures slightly on some sections of rough corrugated dirt road.

I'm happy with LR recommendations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I normally run F/R 36/38. If its a lot of highway driving, 38/40. On rougher roads down to 32/34

I put 28psi in the fronts once. Super comfy, but I couldn't stand how flat they looked. It could be that the tyres have different a sidewall thickness?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,433 Posts
I am running GG AT2s 255/65x16 (previously Pirelli Scorpions) with 28/38 psi F/R.
I do a lot of towing with a heavy nose weight on the towball and a winch up front.
I will stick with the L/R recommended pressures with standard tyre sizes.
Higher pressures mean smaller footprint and a risk of skidding on the highway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts