RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give a general idea how the port process works? was curious to know what these guys do at the port and a usual time for dealer delivery(if there is such a thing). my vessel called port on the 29th of nov and i missed the last delivery to the dealer - they only got 1 car in... next delivery from the port supposedly xmas eve day which means the car will have been at the port aprox. 20 days. does anyone think land rover will ever have a better tracking system inlace like bmw's?? i remember getting a tracking number from them and you could basically, if i remember correctly, track your car from production to delivery....

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
There are a couple threads in the 405 section outlining the standard timeline, logistics website with VIN tracking and weak spots where things can get held up. Naturally things like port or dealer installed accessories can hold it up for an extra week or so. There have also been weather delays with train and truck transports.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep. it just seems that if its going to be 20 days, that seems a little extreme. it all goes back to customer service for me. when you have a early delivery such as mine and no hold ups that the dealer can tell you about (or won't), they i would expect delivery. maybe it was the fixed running boards and roof rails that help it up..... i was just a little excited that's all.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
It's out of their control, unless the dealer wanted to send someone to Baltimore (Well Dundalk to be precise) to pick it up at the port. Other than that, you'll be waiting for a truck to get in there and pick it up along with a load more. No truck is going to go in for one or two cars though.
Unless you just wanted to see how long it's been sat at the port, I dont see any advantage to a tracking deal myself.

Martin

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's out of their control, unless the dealer wanted to send someone to Baltimore (Well Dundalk to be precise) to pick it up at the port. Other than that, you'll be waiting for a truck to get in there and pick it up along with a load more. No truck is going to go in for one or two cars though.
Unless you just wanted to see how long it's been sat at the port, I dont see any advantage to a tracking deal myself.

Martin
Mine went to Brunswick, GA. and the dealer told me that the last truck that came from the port had just one car on it for them while mine was left at the port.... maybe they had cars for other dealers and ran out of room??? anyhow, just the excitement i guess and the fact that the AVP (automobile vehicle processing site) at the port tells you one thing and the dealer another....

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Weird, they all used to go to Dundalk, seen them all lined up enough times right next door to the Cat loading area.
For a $400,000 car hauler setup to go get one car, is unheard of. They need at least 8 I'd guess to start making any money. If one turned up with one car for them, then it either had other cars on it when there, or had delivered them already.
Guess they could always send someone in to pick it up. Paperwork is paperwork regardless of getting one car or a dozen. Go get yourself a TWIC card and go grab it on a car trailer!

Martin

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kinda of what I'm thinking, but that twic card's a problem. last time i tried to get one, it was a mess. nothing but government bureaucracy there..... such is the price for job security and safety.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
I'd be surprised at any major west coast location receiving a car deliver by truck from GA. Most cross country deliveries from the east coast go to a regional clearing yard for the transport company. From there short haul truckers handle deliveries to the local dealers. For instance deliveries to the Seattle area dealers go to a regional yard in Kent via train. From Kent they are trucked up to Seattle & Bellevue, down to Fife/Tacoma & Portland. Considering the volume of the new car market in LA I just can't picture a hand full of new cars on a truck for 2500+ miles when a rail would be a fraction of the price with far less chance for damages.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd be surprised at any major west coast location receiving a car deliver by truck from GA. Most cross country deliveries from the east coast go to a regional clearing yard for the transport company. From there short haul truckers handle deliveries to the local dealers. For instance deliveries to the Seattle area dealers go to a regional yard in Kent via train. From Kent they are trucked up to Seattle & Bellevue, down to Fife/Tacoma & Portland. Considering the volume of the new car market in LA I just can't picture a hand full of new cars on a truck for 2500+ miles when a rail would be a fraction of the price with far less chance for damages.
hey - I'm in LA not L.A. :)

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
LMAO!! Oh that is friggin hilarious! No wonder it didn't make sense!! :doh:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
You mean to tell me that our international ports of entry are no safer now than before TWIC existed???????? Say it aint so....
Biggest $132.50 rip off going. And nothing but a rent a cop asking for it, as far as differences go....

Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts