RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gents....

Possible Mercedes-Benz convert here. Looking at trading my wife's R500 for a 2007 Rover, non-supercharged. Just looking for any information you're willing to share on what the common issues are with these bad boys. Anything particular I should look for, when shopping/test driving? Also, what's the average price for an extended warranty? I'm looking at trucks in the ~30K mile range, so warranty will be up quickly. Need to know what to budget for the extended warranty.

Also, interested in hearing from people with ivory interior. My wife is completely enamored with a white/black exterior with ivory interior. It's absolutely stunning, but how does it hold up in real world use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really? Nothing to look out for on these? They're bullet proof?

·
Registered
2007 HSE
388 Posts
OK, I'll give it a shot...

I purchased a 2007 HSE, Stornoway Grey/Ivory interior, in January. It turned 37k about 5 miles after I picked it up. It had also previously been certified (Carfax showed lease, then certified and purchased/owned for several more months -- my impression was corporate lease converted to purchase w/certification, then traded in on new vehicle). I can't really provide additional information regarding extended warranties.

Great vehicle, smooth and quiet. It is loaded -- luxury package, 20" wheels, rear entertainment, running boards. I purchased the rubber floor mats and rear cargo mat.

I wasn't keen on the running boards at first, but have come to appreciate them, particularly with two boys (11 & 7, soon to each move up a year...).

I've had a couple of minor issues, which can be kinda major when you live 5 hours/300 miles from the nearest dealer.
1. Driver's side vent broke -- would not change horizontal direction. Replaced under warranty.
2. A/C compressor making whirring noise with engine speed. Replaced under warranty.
3. Door seal gasket at rear passenger side door -- the "buttons" holding the seal to the door broke off in back. Replaced under warranty.

Unresolved issues/non-issues:
- The steering wheel does not always return to the pre-set position, but usually that happens after I get it back from the dealer. I've found that if I kinda tap the wheel in (gently hitting it in, toward the engine/firewall), it seems to set the gears and it works without problem about 98% of the time.
- Really nothing else.

Visibility is great, very comfortable, kids love it, wife loves it. No problems with air suspension or anything else. The only other surprise was on the regularly scheduled service -- when I took it in around 41k, I expected the service to be covered/complimentary, but the previous owner had already used up all the services. After thinking that one over, I was quite happy to find one that the previous owner had actually cared for!

As for ivory interior, we really like it. Yes, it shows the dirt, but then, if you can see the dirt, you know where to clean it up. The leather holds up well to the kids.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Do a search and you'll see the common issues with these vehicles. In a nutshell, they are solid and luxurious but are expensive to maintain and repair...aftermarket warranties are going to cost you plenty. The LR assured warranty offered only to original owners at the end of the factory warranty I believe is up to several thousand dollars for an extra 2 years, someone else can give a more precise number. When I bought mine it was $4000. Expensive. But so are repairs. The ivory interior looks great and holds up well if you don't let your kids in it. I have two of these vehicles, an '06 HSE that my wife drives and that has been quite reliable, and a 2010 S/C for me which so far has had no issues in 6000 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome guys, thanks!

I'm certainly aware of the costs associated with ownership of high end, European vehicles. I currently own 4 Mercedes-Benz(es), so I'm on a first name basis with most of the service advisers and techs at my local dealership.

The ivory interior is a must for my wife. We test drove a black with ivory and light colored wood (cherry, maybe?) and she absolutely fell in love. Her R500 is right at 59K miles, out of warranty, and she's just sick of driving something that looks so minivan(ish). The Rover was her top choice, but of course, it can't be the Sport..."Hell no!" she says.

We do have 2 young sons, so I'm afraid the ivory will be hard work to keep clean. I'm thinking of using my E-Class as the baby hauler with the Rover being for trips and such.

Again, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
272 Posts
Wipe down the ivory leather/interior with a soft, damp cloth every week (Griot's Green interior cloth). Use a cleaner and conditioning/protectant every 3 months. Land Rover is now using Leather Masters in their "kit", which is less a conditioner than others (Connelly, Griots, Zymol) and more of a protectant.

Lastly, for my 7 & 9 year old boys we went to Costco and got Sheepskin covers for the rear seats. I now make my boys clean/vaccum the rear seats (I still do the leather treatment); hence, it is much cleaner than when they were too young to threaten with revoking Wii and TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts