RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one please identify this type of screw as i want to upgrade it to a stainless type but i don't know what to ask for.
Cheers all.

·
Registered
665 Posts
take the screw to the nut and bolt place and tell him to give you one

·
Registered
269 Posts
Its a sheet metal self tapping screw. The blade on the end cuts through the sheet and the course thread grips onto the metal. If you are using stainless you might need some anti seizing paste if you ever want to undo them again. However that depends entirely what your screwing it into.

If its purely stainless your after because it does not corrode like steel, consider zinc coated screws they tend to be stronger and wear less.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Tango

Tango said:
Its a sheet metal self tapping screw. The blade on the end cuts through the sheet and the course thread grips onto the metal. If you are using stainless you might need some anti seizing paste if you ever want to undo them again. However that depends entirely what your screwing it into.

If its purely stainless your after because it does not corrode like steel, consider zinc coated screws they tend to be stronger and wear less.

The screws hold the black plastic tread plate that folds down with the lower section of the tailgate,and as far as i can see there is a tiny housing for them to screw in too and there is no blade on the end.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am not certain but I think they may called Powerlok Screws or something like that, as they are a type of self-locking bolt due to the design of the thread. Saying that Powerlok may be a Trademark so they may be called by some other name as well.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts