Range Rovers Forum banner

Two new issues -diesel P38

522 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  kapilamuni 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Today morning when I started the car, the CEL remained ON. Since no other observed effects, I attended my chores and came back without any issue.
Scanned with Nanocom & got the following;

Text Technology Electronic device Electronics Gadget
Electronics Gadget Technology Electronic device Portable communications device
Electronics Electronic device Technology Gadget Screen

Having no difficulty in starting , I cleared the faults but the stop solenoid (SS) fault reappears immediately.
Nanocom verifies 'ELAB' is HIGH , meaning SS is okay but other message says there is a fault.
According to RAVE, for a fault of SS the CEL. will not indicate. I'm confused.:unsure:. Normally when the SS goes, no one can start the car until it's replaced with a new one.

While looking for any obvious clues in the engine bay also noted that coolant reservoir is not even warm but the engine is hot at normal temperature with VC fan roaring. Checked the coolant temp with Nanocom and it's at 92 C and the gauge is a hair above the middle. (this is normal for my car with AC ON). Also found that bleeder line from radiator to reservoir too is not warm. But the engine just behaves normal in all aspects.
More than happy to have your views.
Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Removed & replaced the stop solenoid which cleared the CEL.
Technically, existing SS is in good order and also RAVE says CEL won't show when SS is bad.

Fuel Shut–Off Solenoid (K111)
The Fuel Shut–Off Solenoid (K111) shuts the engine
down if the ECM (Z132) detects a major fault.
Failure of the valve itself does not activate the
warning lamp, although if a short circuit occurs, the
engine will shut down.

That's for the CEL.
Still looking for reasons for cool 'coolant reservoir'. Any one?

#3 ·
After running for about 30 mts the reservoir gets warm and reach the normal temps slowly. Normally, after running for 5 mts whole thing gets to the normal temp.
It's a peculiar issue.
Met few garage techs (none landrover), one said that a blocked bleeder line could be the reason. Since the whole system is working perfectly without any over heating (no air blocks) , blocked bleeder line (some particle/gunk ?) is not allowing hot water to cycle through the reservoir as usual, hence the cool reservoir.
I' m going to remove the bleeder line and see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.