RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I've wanted to replace my steering damper for some time now. I asked my Indy about this, as I didn't want to spend a fortune at the stealers for a genuine part, and he suggested doubling up on the steering damper. Apparently he's done this a few times, and it seems to help in compensating for wear in the steering bits. Has anyone tried this? I currently have a new damper fitted on top of the old one, and will replace the old one if I think it's worthwhile. One issue though: I've had to replace a leaky power steering pipe, and the new pipe is slightly out of proportion, so it's rubbing against the top damper. Will try to sort this out though. Here's some pics (excuse the poor cellphone quality and dirty undercarriage!):

·
Registered
640 Posts
digita said:
and it seems to help in compensating for wear in the steering bits. Has anyone tried this?
Personaly I think it's a stupid idea masking worn steering components, brilliant doing 70mph and a worn track rod end or similar falls apart. I think it would be wiser to replace the worn steering parts and safer for all concerened.

Cheers

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
I do not run one on my wheeling rig, with 37's.
All they do is mask a problem, and do nothing to fix the underlying issues.
If you have worn component, fix them!!!!!!
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that "shops" are saying to put 2 dampers on the steering to hide any worn components...not :naughty:
I think a new shop would be in my near future if that was me.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Col said:
digita said:
and it seems to help in compensating for wear in the steering bits. Has anyone tried this?
Personaly I think it's a stupid idea masking worn steering components, brilliant doing 70mph and a worn track rod end or similar falls apart. I think it would be wiser to replace the worn steering parts and safer for all concerened.

Cheers
this

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have said I want to use an extra damper in lieu of replacing other components... hang on..that's not what I said?
What I was referring to is slight looseness in parts that are still well within their safe operating life. I agree wholeheartedly, when they reach safe end of life (e.g. when the play becomes unacceptable), they need to be replaced (like my shiny new tie rod ends not visible in the previous pics).

And please don't tell me that "no" play is acceptable. Then you would replace your entire suspension every time you drive your car. All this setup is really doing is increasing the damping rate of the steering damper (not unlike fitting "uprated" aftermarket parts).

As for driving without a steering damper... having felt the difference between a worn and a good steering damper, I would say a prayer for anyone who hits the road without one...

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
We're not saying to install another dampener in lieu of fixing worn parts is a bad idea, which it is...what we're saying is that as they wear down and get to a dangerous point, the second dampener will mask them even more and it could become a problem.

You don't need it. There's a reason no car comes from the factory with two steering dampeners...

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Sorry, but there is no play in my steering components. If and when there is, the parts in question will get replaced.
I have so little faith in the "steering damper" that it is the still the original part. All tie rods etc have been replaced and I did the alignment myself in an easy afternoon (I have a caster/camber gauge). I can honestly say I have absolutely no need for a 2nd damper on the steering. On my wheeling rigs, I have never run one of any type, they have a habit of hiding a problem until it is too late!
Message here is....replace the bad parts instead of trying to cover up the problem. As already said, there is a reason why OEM's never put a second damper on steering! :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
543 Posts
Gents.

I've fitted a new return-to-centre steering damper to my Rangie Classic - scuttle shake and all occurs from the near worn tyres, so even with a brand new aftermarket steering damper any irregularities in component wear still cannot hide from the party !

Has anybody else fitted replacement dampers to their P38's, as I remember a South Australian mob invented a retrofit system using the original steering damper setup with some additional track rods that totally eliminated bump stop action on the front ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I recently replaced the tie/track-rods for a customer, the steering damper was shot (because of the incessant shaking I believe...) test drove it without the damper and didn't notice it was missing. If you feel a wobble, replace the part. Steering and brakes are not something to mess about with. 2x dampers is extreme overkill IMHO.

the big show trucks with double dampers are just showing off how much chrome they can bolt on, race trucks make good use of the dampers on high-speed offroading. I suppose the damper will help with steering jerk when hitting pot-holes etc, but doubled up is not needed, and if you think the original is shot, it's just adding weight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts