RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an extra sub amp sitting around in the garage, so I thought I'd mess with it a bit.

The factory amp is just a little mono amp, and running either the twin 6.5" 4 ohm setup or the 8" band pass dual voice coil set up, it brings the amp down to a 2 ohm load. So I figured I'd hook up both amps, each running one voice coil of my bandpass box, and see what happens. And what did happen? Not a whole heck of a lot. At low volumes it was slightly louder...probably not enough that my wife would notice. But...at higher volumes, where I like to blast a little Young MC :) .... it actually sounded much tighter and a bit louder. This makes sense, as a 4 ohm load will always have less distortion than a 2 ohm given the same equipment.

Anyway... save your money, or buy a real amp.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
kmagnuss said:
...probably not enough that my wife would notice.
Kinda like your wife didn't notice the burning leather? :mrgreen: Sorry mag... just wayWAY too easy. :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
kmagnuss said:
...probably not enough that my wife would notice.
Kinda like your wife didn't notice the burning leather? :mrgreen: Sorry mag... just wayWAY too easy. :mrgreen:
I am really goinna pay for this one. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That smell took awhile to get out. Pretty sad... but she didn't catch the car on fire though, so that's good.

I got a little bored, so I went back out into the fridgid 76 degree evening, beer in hand, and took out the amp I just put in. Then I stuck it into my Volvo along with my other land rover sub (the one with two 6.5's, replaced with Rockford Fosgates)...and it sounded pretty good. Just for giggles I compared it against a non-amplified 8" bazooka tube I had sitting around. Just a note to you all...if you would like some louder, deeper bass in your Range just throw in a Bazooka Tube instead of replacing the worn out speakers in the factory sub. I actually think a 6.5" bazooka will fit in the stock location, but haven't measured it. I was pretty surprised how much louder, smoother and deeper the tube was than the factory sub. Bazookas are by no means audiophile quality, and they're very boomy, and make everything sound deep... They're more for bass filled rap than crisp, hard hitting kick drums or picking out reverb from bass guitars. But...they're cheap and efficient.

Oh...forgot to mention this: If you'd like to add a littl oomph to your factory sub, run a new power wire and add a good ground wire. That 14 ga wire is crap for amps, and just going up to an 8 ga. wire will make your bass a little smoother and deeper. Hell, I bet even a 10 ga would make a difference.

My next mod is going to be to add an old Alpine amp I have to the twin 6.5" setup and throw that back in the P. I have a feeling those subs can take a bit of abuse.

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rrtoadhall said:
I am really goinna pay for this one. :lol:

Nah... You're my favorite one on here... we tag team the dumbasses who ask about RRS grills, 22" rims, and what book symbols mean.

I'm still pissed that phone never got to you. It's bad enough the government steals our money, now they're taking our mail too. Crooks. Everything I send now gets delivery confirmation. 70 cents well spent.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
What is really sad is that a package was delivered yesterday with a postal stamp of January. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe there's hope yet. What's it been...3 years now? It's addressed to "Toad"...so you'll know it's from me if you get it 10 years from now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You guys are hilarious. :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can join our club too, but you have to bash 5 newbs to the point that they either apologize or never come back. No bashing though if they have a good first post that can't be answered by telling them to search.

·
Registered
401 Posts
And I thought my daily routine of being online for a couple hours was enough :shock: I have to put some time in here. :)

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
What is really sad is that a package was delivered yesterday with a postal stamp of January. :shock:

gee and I thought it was bad here, proberly is worse here, it never arrives...anything

1 - 11 of 11 Posts