RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just installed new driving lights and everything was working perfect.

I went for a drive and turned them on.... Still good. Then on the 4th trip I turned the driving lights on and a alternator fault showed up and the truck died.

It will turn over, seems to have plenty of power, but just doesn't fire up.

Anyone have any ideas the rangie is on the side of the highway.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the fuses, all were fine.

I went out to tow it this morning and tried to start it.......fired right up. Last night it was turning over perfectly, just wouldn't fire up.

I decided to drive it home and about 3 miles down the road the RPMs jump to 2000 then 0, back to normal. I put the truck into neutral at the stop lights and reved it up to 1500 until I got home.

Just as I was about to pull into my driveway a gearbox fault message showed up, but it did not die. The fault message went out and it was running fine in the driveway.

Any ideas? Sorry for the novel...

Also, I have the truck in Michigan and it is very cold, if that makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I swear, FL P38's throw a fit when they get into the cold. I drove mine to IL a couple years ago and it **** near fell apart.

Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Check the ones closest to the battery first. Even if they look good, they probably aren't.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
alpine1 said:
Checked the fuses, all were fine.

I went out to tow it this morning and tried to start it.......fired right up. Last night it was turning over perfectly, just wouldn't fire up.

I decided to drive it home and about 3 miles down the road the RPMs jump to 2000 then 0, back to normal. I put the truck into neutral at the stop lights and reved it up to 1500 until I got home.

Just as I was about to pull into my driveway a gearbox fault message showed up, but it did not die. The fault message went out and it was running fine in the driveway.

Any ideas? Sorry for the novel...

Also, I have the truck in Michigan and it is very cold, if that makes a difference.
All those symptoms seem te indicate faulty wiring or possibly a faulty alternator. I would check the fuses and wiring, especially where you have added the wires for the lights. Turning over but not firing could pount to the ignition.

·
Registered
867 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I swear, FL P38's throw a fit when they get into the cold. I drove mine to IL a couple years ago and it **** near fell apart.

Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Check the ones closest to the battery first. Even if they look good, they probably aren't.
This made me laugh so hard. My truck went from California to Florida to Illinois. The very day my Rover got it Illinois (in 30 degree weather), it decided to wouldn't start. It threw an ignition coil. A week later it decided that it didn't like its compressor. Then it decided to piss coolant a little while after.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the help!

It would seem that like me the rover has to get acclimated to the cold......

I hooked up a battery tester today that has a meter for battery %, volts and Alt %.

The battery started out at 40% charged with 12 volts. I started the truck and it charged the battery to 100%.

I also monitored the volts and they ranged from 14 to 14.5. The Alt. started out at 80% then down to 72%. I turned on everything I could think of brights, new driving lights, etc., and the Alt.% jumped to 72%

I let it idle for about 20 Min. watching the meter and the Alt. went from 72% to 65% and jumped back and forth. I waited five more min. and the meter went from 65% down to 40% jumping down to 32% every so often.

The truck did act as if it was going to die a couple of time, but didn't. I decided to shut it off and noticed the service engine soon light on. After I shut it off I got a gearbox fault message. I tried to start it and of course it turns over but doesn't fire.

All the terminals are clean and grounds are secure.

The whole time the volts were 14.1 to 14.5.

Anyone have any ideas.....I'm stumped, unless it truly is the Alt.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another update:

I waited a half hour and it started right up Alt. % is 100. If I turn on radio and blower it goes to 91%.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest update:

I was using a multimeter to cover the posted checklist and now even with all accessories turned off, and ALT. at 100%, the truck will just shut down after about 15 min.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found relay #7 burned up........I could smell it. Also I don't have a relay #6 installed.

I'm going to replace the fuse box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts