Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide which of these suppliers for a 4.6 long engine with flanged liners and performance heads for a new Range Rover Classic project.

Turner offers the ductile iron liners and gasflowed heads plus new rocker gear for around the same price as a V8Developments stage 2 engine (but without the rocker gear). Have only heard good things about both, though V8D engines seem to be more sports car oriented than 4x4s.

Which would you choose to supply a top hatted 4.6?
I intend fitting a Crower 50229 cam and Ford 302 injectors to the 14 CUX along with a Scorcher distribtour to whichever engine I end up getting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're using an interim 3.9 front cover with the integral post 94 oil pump and distributor hole in the top. It's off a 95 Disco. Bolts right up to the 4.6 block.
We want a 4.6 RRC with considerably more torque than the 3.9, ie. around 300 ftlb. At this stage I'm leaning towards the Turner engine as they have an impeccable reputation for build quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're correct, a 20mm spacer is required to account for the difference in length between the 3.9 and 4.6 crank snouts (70 vs 90mm). Other than that it's a straight swap. As for the 14CUX, it will handle the increased capacity as is, but for optimum performance a Tornado Systems chip is best fitted into the Lucas ecu. Fortunately this is a well-trodden path, thanks mainly to Mark Adams in the UK, who has developed software to suit various applications. Provided the ecu has the EPROM socket installed (some don't) it's a relatively straightforward and not too pricey upgrade, followed by a comprehensive setting up of the mixture, ignition timing, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.