RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I didn't readily see this question in another thread, so here goes...

After buying a U.S 2004 L322 this past week (my first Rover), I installed the 7 pin Atlantic British trailer harness today using the green relay (VIN is below 4A999999). I later started the vehicle and went through the gears, although didn't actually move it, in case an engine cycle was of relevance here. Afterwards I checked the hitch plug's 7 pins with a multimeter to see what they're up to. I noticed that when the left turn indicator is operating, ALL THREE of the "Left Turn/Stop," "Right Turn/Stop" and "Running Lamps" terminals were getting the same pulsing signal. With the right turn indicator operating, same thing: all three terminals were getting the same signal. If this was an old pickup truck, that would suggest that BOTH rear trailer lights would be blinking when turning either right or left (basically operating as hazard lights), in other words, a malfunction.

I don't currently own a trailer to connect to, but may purchase a 2006 7-pin camping trailer next week, hopefully without LED lamps. Are the terminal signals I'm getting normal considering no trailer is connected? In other words, unlike that old, simpler pickup truck, will the L322's black box properly sort out the signals once an actual trailer's electrical system is plugged in? Also, my understanding is that there's no shop "reprogramming" required for a 2004 in this situation, and that the vehicle will automatically adapt: hopefully someone can confirm that.

Lastly, AB inadvertently gave me a kit without the mount and ball as requested, so I may just use whatever "extended" 11-13 inch, 2 inch drop mount that's available from Camping World down the street. Has anyone had experience with those lengths? (I'm aware of the 11 inch limit, but will be towing 200 lbs below the max tongue weight and 2,700 lbs below the max trailer weight.) And I'm leaning towards a wireless brake controller (none purchased yet) -- no L322 electrical system complications!

But in its CURRENT state with the cargo area blue wire unused, the new harness should be sending brake light signals to a 7-pin trailer, correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify my last question...
But in its CURRENT state with the cargo area blue wire unused, the new harness should successfully send needed brake light signals to a 7-pin trailer, correct?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
the blue wire is the electric brake controller signal it gets connected to the ELX controller if you fitted it.

The other spurious signals you have found are normal.
the bulb check unit in the truck will send pulses through all of the pins this is so to check the bulbs.
if a bulb is found to be inop then the bulb warning will illuminate on the dash.

Plug in a trailer and then test the lamps as they need to have a load on them to operate.

NOTE if the trailer has LED laps you will probably get a bulb warning and the flasher will blink fast

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Thanks for the helpful info, Mrmerlin. Great to know I may not have a parts or installation glitch after all.

My tentative plans were to purchase a certain 4,000 lb camping trailer soon while it's still available, tow it 20 miles on flat highway very late at night when the road is empty, and do so without trailer brakes, without brake controller, and with the blue wire unused. I suspect that's a reasonable risk -- my understanding is that vintage boat trailers often didn't even have trailer brakes, and that included when descending Sierra mountains. So I needed to confirm that the trailer's brake lights will function during that one trek. Once home, I'll work on a proper trailer brake set-up.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
plug in the trailer and drive,
dont speed if you going on hills about 60 to 65 MPH MAX, or the rig will start to swaying.

NOTE pull the shift lever to the left out of drive when towing.

]NOTE read the owners manual before towing so you have full understanding of the trucks operation and how things work

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All good advice. Thanks, Mrmerlin. Also the "3 second" rule: roughly a football field of following distance if at all possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts