RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all a little advise needed here.

So Just had both turbos changed on my car as one was leaking done via warranty claim

Now the car is still with the garage atm but they are saying that it is still abit smokey because oil got into the exhaust and it will take time to burn off. They said they tried to clean the exhaust system as much as they could but after driving it for a few weeks the smoking should stop.

Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Hopefully you will have had this resolved by now, but to answer your question, no. Without knowing how knowledgeable on turbo's you happen to be, I will sum up what they do. They take exhaust gas to spin an exhaust turbine which is directly connected to an air compressor. This is fed into the intake of your engine and can boost the pressure 2-7 lbs (waste gates can be adjusted based upon desire). Since it spins at a high-rate of speed whenever the engine is running (and after shut down for a spool down period), it needs a constant supply of oil. If this is compromised inside the housing, you will get smoke. If the smoke coming from your exhaust is blue, then oil is definitely leaking into the exhaust somewhere. If it is white, then I would check to see if you have a water injection system on the turbo. If there is not one, then you are getting water from somewhere. If it is black, then you have a fuel issue.

If it is still blowing smoke, take it back and have them re-do the install as they messed it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Still not sorted

Update to this crazy story

So my 2010 RRS 3.0 tdv went in for both turbo replacements.......thankfully I have warranty...indy garage diagnosed that the off side turbo was leaking so claimed and got both turbos done..

Now after the first change they did a road test and the offside was leaking so they got another turbo in and changed that. Again yesterday road test and that turbo is showing signs of leak.
Now they are saying the turbo engineers need to do a report and it could be the engine, its only done 70k miles why would it be the engine? The car has been at the garage since January and their courtesy car is a nissan micra so I have been hiring off thrifty since then. Anyone ever seen anything like this before? what can i do now? They are also saying they will measure the oil pressure it’s been a week and I’ve not heard anything yet

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
106 Posts
Now they are saying the turbo engineers need to do a report and it could be the engine, its only done 70k miles why would it be the engine?
The engine could be the root cause, but unless it was doing this prior to the turbo swap, I would be hesitant to point an oily finger that way.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? what can i do now?

They are also saying they will measure the oil pressure �� it’s been a week and I’ve not heard anything yet
The shop would be better at measuring the oil pressure as your average individual does not have the tool required. I would suggest having a second shop do some trouble shooting. Also, ask for the original turbo chargers back. They are yours, not the shops. They will typically rebuild them and sell them. In a situation like that, the shop should buy them from you.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
128 Posts
I'd also be worried about what all that oil is really doing to your catalytic converters.
If its a warranty job I'd definitely be pushing them to replace the cats too, as It could be really expensive if you have resultant cat issues too far down the road for them to accept blame for, and also outside the warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts