Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I tune a Leased RR ATB without much flak from the dealer?

Love my RR ATB and it is pretty powerful but I feel as though I have gotten way to comfortable with the amount of power and find myself wanting more.. I am not looking for anything to crazy just a stage 1 and a burble tune

Would love to do a Tune but don't want some type of "voided" warranty on my lease

If a dealer finds out what is the worse that can happen

Not really sure how this works.. this is the first time ive leased a car.. all others were a purchase.

Also if you have a Tune on your leased RR.. please chime in with what you have .. any service complaints or if you have to remove the tune before service ... etc

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

· Registered
200 Posts
You just need to talk to your service advisor and the shop foreman. Mine are great and very upfront about these things. I bring them Starbucks gift cards all the time. Maybe you can bring some Tom Horton's?

Key item: as soon as you flash the ECU it will trigger a flag that says there is a non OEM tune installed. This will never go away, even if you flash it back to stock. I can pull it up on my GAP ID tool just like the dealer can but you won't see it on most OBD2 readers.

That being said your dealer is not required to report if your vehicle is tuned. Other makes like Mercedes and Audi require it. If you have a good relationship with the service department it is a non issue and you just get to enjoy the additional power and sound. If there is a issue with your motor it could be a problem though. There are thousands of the AJ133 engines rolling around tuned and I have never seen a failure from a stage 1 tune though there could be a few out there somewhere. Odds are you'd be fine.

My catalytic converters failed two months after doing the pulley and tune on my 2016 and they had no problem replacing them under warranty. Others haven't been as lucky. The dealer reported the tune and they had to pay out of pocket.

Also of note I'm sure its in your lease that you can't tune it. Not sure what the repercussions of that is if it came to that. Which I have never heard of it being a issue.

The bottom line is I'm sure it'll be fine if your service department is ok with it. Just wanted you to have the full picture.

· Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
57 Posts
I've tuned both of my leased Range Rover Sports. The first with VelocityAP and the second with Velos Designwerks. I've had zero issues, and the dealership has NEVER asked about it. I always flash back to stock before a dealer visit. I also didn't have any issues when I turned in my 2016 Sport when the lease was up. I really don't think they care unless the tune created some sort of problem.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You just need to talk to your service advisor and the shop foreman. Mine are great and very upfront about these things. I bring them Starbucks gift cards all the time. Maybe you can bring some Tom Horton's?

Key item: as soon as you flash the ECU it will trigger a flag that says there is a non OEM tune installed. This will never go away, even if you flash it back to stock. I can pull it up on my GAP ID tool just like the dealer can but you won't see it on most OBD2 readers.

That being said your dealer is not required to report if your vehicle is tuned. Other makes like Mercedes and Audi require it. If you have a good relationship with the service department it is a non issue and you just get to enjoy the additional power and sound. If there is a issue with your motor it could be a problem though. There are thousands of the AJ133 engines rolling around tuned and I have never seen a failure from a stage 1 tune though there could be a few out there somewhere. Odds are you'd be fine.

My catalytic converters failed two months after doing the pulley and tune on my 2016 and they had no problem replacing them under warranty. Others haven't been as lucky. The dealer reported the tune and they had to pay out of pocket.

Also of note I'm sure its in your lease that you can't tune it. Not sure what the repercussions of that is if it came to that. Which I have never heard of it being a issue.

The bottom line is I'm sure it'll be fine if your service department is ok with it. Just wanted you to have the full picture.
Thanks a lot for your help

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tuned both of my leased Range Rover Sports. The first with VelocityAP and the second with Velos Designwerks. I've had zero issues, and the dealership has NEVER asked about it. I always flash back to stock before a dealer visit. I also didn't have any issues when I turned in my 2016 Sport when the lease was up. I really don't think they care unless the tune created some sort of problem.
Thanks a lot. Which tuner do you prefer Velos or VAP

· Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
57 Posts
They are both great, but at the time I got my 2019 RRS, VAP didn't have a handheld tuner that you could keep...only a loaner tuner (MY 2018+). So I went with Velos where they offered a handheld tuner that I could keep and is always available if I need to flash back to stock.

· Registered
201 Posts
If you have any sort of power train issues with it, your warranty will no longer cover this. The local dealer doesn't care if your truck is tuned but JLR head office does. I just ran into this issue due to a glitch in the PCM and the dealer had to get some new code written from the UK office and its engineers. They covered this out of good faith this time but told me to be careful blah blah blah 🙃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.