RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '96 P38 with a 4.0 that doesn't run and I can't drive it. I've looked underneath it and was impressed at how the suspension was set up. I like to do things that are a bit different, so am looking into pulling the body off the frame, and swapping a different body onto it. Probably an older Ford Ranger, or something of similar length wheelbase. I believe I can get a standalone engine computer system, to get rid off all the messy stock systems. My one major concern is the transmission.

My question is this: Is there any way to make the automatic transmission useable, without all the stock computer bits? I'd prefer a manual gearbox, but my options seem extremely limited there, being in the US. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Why would you swap the bodies? Assuming its a title issue.

And no the TCM is crucial for the transmission to work. It is also needed for the ECM and several other computers needed for the vehicle to work.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1,418 Posts
What you need to do is check out the p38 threads on swapping the engine for a chevy engine if you want to do that. Yes, the suspension is fantastic, which is why most of us here have these things.

By your location you are close to a couple rover clubs, and you would LOVE taking it into the cascades or over by hood canal is a great off road park. A few great trails are just over in Stevens Pass. Just keep it a Range Rover and give it new life with a new engine. DONT put a pickup on that beautiful suspension, that is not dignified - unless it was wrecked and that is why, then I understand (kinda).

·
Registered
2 Posts
While I applaud you're desire to tackle a daunting task, I'd recommend reading as much as possible about the the P38 platform. This is not a Range Rover classic , which would be an easy project. Without knowing your mechanical abilities/aptitude, you can and will be in "deep" if you think this Ford ranger onto a P38 roller is going to be quick, but more so an inexpensive build. You will probably be ahead financially if you just kept the Rover in tact and just repaired what was needed. Just trying to provide insight from years of building Rovers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
http://www.rockware.net/ Heres an option for you.The rover V8 is Europe's answer to the chev 350. you might look at finding a aftermarket intake manifold and running a carb. and you can get aftermarket bell housings and run whatever trans combo you want .

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
http://www.rockware.net/ Heres an option for you.The rover V8 is Europe's answer to the chev 350. you might look at finding a aftermarket intake manifold and running a carb. and you can get aftermarket bell housings and run whatever trans combo you want .
And with next to no mention of the P38, you kinda lost me there.
Aftermarket bell housing? Please tell us where over here sells them?
The tranny can be controlled by an independent controller, @$1200.
By far, the cheapest and easiest thing to do is restore it to running condition using what it came with.
I have done 99% of the work on my LSx swap myself, and it would still be cheaper to rebuild a 4.6 using good quality parts if you did the work yourself.

Martin

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do you know why it does not run? It might be a small thing that has died.

Rowan

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
get it cheap and hack it up. who cares. the suspension system is pretty sweet on coils.

its a land rover, there is no resale value. `)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason for the pickup body is, is I bought it from a guy who tore up the inside, lost a bunch of parts including computers, and generally ruined everything. It'd cost a fortune to replace/fix all of it. It's a shame because the body is amazing... It has already been converted to coils springs, so that's handy.

If I can get the engine and transmission to work, I figure the rest should be fairly simple. It won't be pretty but since I plan on just using it to play on the trails, pretty doesn't matter much here.

I appreciate all of your input, and would gladly accept more!

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
2,032 Posts
If you can make a standalone ECM and then a standalone transmission controller you'd be rocking.

You could use the body, bit you would have to rewire everything thanks to the BECM running everything

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts